Re: Lifestyle of today, with the Technology of Tomorrow- Only Coin

As far as I am concerned, Alex was right when he said this innovative solution to the common problem of a bloated wallet is little-known. I’d never heard of it nor had anyone in my household, yet it is an obvious progression in our increasingly computerized world.

I initially wondered about the Coin’s future. Why have a separate electronic device for this task, when the overarching trend seems to be to hand over all digital tasks to our smartphones? That was shortsighted on my part as the Coin, while a computer, still functions as a card would, as explained by this commercial. Users select the card they wish to use from a menu on the Coin, and then swipe as they would any other card. So the Coin would not be made obsolete with the next generation iPhone.

I agree with Alex’s sentiment that people will be skeptical of the Coin’s security. The linked advertisement did little to pacify those fears, merely stating that the Coin has sense when your phone is near. As credit card theft has major implications and is at the forefront of public consciousness, Coin might have been better off giving more detail into this aspect of its product. And what happens if you forget your phone, or your phone’s battery runs out? Does the Coin still function? Catering to an American market, the coin utilizes swipe technology instead of chip. In Canada and Europe, we are told chip cards have increased security—how does the Coin address this?

It will be fascinating to see where the Coin and similar technology take in the next few years!