Assignment 1:3 | Words & How They Bind Us

The following is my response to Question 3.

I don’t believe that a picture is worth a thousand words. I have never believed that, to be frank. While it is a charming concept, ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ doesn’t take into account the past, the future or even the present of what is happening in a photo. For example, a photo of one of Canada’s umpteen majestic landscapes, no matter how spellbinding it may be, will never be able to project to the beholder of the photo how the air smelled, or how the wind sounded as it rushed through the evergreens. Only words can do that.

I believe that words draw us closer to the world we live in because we, as humans, are curious creatures. We are constantly searching for new ways to connect, both with each other and with the world we live in.

In one of my favourite literary works, Walden, author Henry David Thoreau explores this idea, when he sets up a home for himself in the middle of the wilderness, and immerses himself in nature and in solitude for over two years. The following excerpt from Walden is emblematic of Thoreau’s experience in the wild, and to me, it demonstrates the unique insight into Walden’s surroundings that only words could have brought. He states, ‘In the midst of a gentle rain while these thoughts prevailed, I was suddenly sensible of such sweet and beneficent society in Nature, in the very pattering of the drops, and in every sound and sight around my house, an infinite and unaccountable friendliness all at once like an atmosphere sustaining me, as made the fancied advantage of human neighborhood insignificant’ (99). The connection Thoreau is feeling to nature in the above passage is clear; it is a very special thing, I find, that Thoreau was able to find and use the exact words he thought would fit the situation best in order to relay to his readers how close he was feeling to the Earth. I believe that words are the only thing that allow us to be bound together as humans, humans who all live such singular and separate lives but are inherently connected by our connections to the lands we inhabit.

I was excited to find that J. Edward Chamberlin, too, references Thoreau in If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?. Chamberlin speaks of what Thoreau calls ‘extravagance’, ‘…the quality that counteracts what Thoreau called a life of quiet desperation; that takes us beyond the true and the untrue, the useful and the useless; and that keeps us safe and sane by celebrating the unsafe and the things that defy common sense’ (Chamberlin 156). I believe that this is the true essence of what words (and, in turn, stories) are meant to do; they reach beyond just being ink on pages (or mere sounds, in the case of oral stories) and unite humankind in the knowledge that we are all here, we are all in the same world, watching the sun as it rises, feeling the first drops of rain.

I would like to close with a quote once again; this one comes from spiritual leader Yehuda Berg. ‘Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble.’ This quote reinforces my belief that words are truly the essential key to connecting ourselves to those we know and to those we do not; to the living and to the dead, to sharing stories about the world around us.

Works Cited:

Thoreau, Henry D. “Thoreau’s Walden – an Annotated Edition.” Thoreau Reader. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2015.

“Henry David Thoreau Biography.” Bio. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 22 May 2015.

“PROF. J.E. CHAMBERLIN.” Victoria College | University of Toronto. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2015.

“Yehuda Berg.” Amazon. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2015.

“Yehuda Berg Quotes.” BrainyQuote. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2015.

4 thoughts on “Assignment 1:3 | Words & How They Bind Us

1. Hi Alishae! Great post and thanks for sharing those lovely quotes. Words are indeed very useful for relaying a scene in all its sensual wonders, from the smell of a forest or the clap of thunder, however, words also require out of the reader/listener of them a degree of participation in that the reader/listener must imagine these things happening. I think this can both diminish and add to the power of words. Diminish—because, of course, you’re not experiencing any of the sights and sounds the writer is experiencing first-hand. But if you must participate in order to recreate the experience, rather than just sit and stare at a painting, your involvement may actually make you more present in the described experience. Anyway, that’s just my two cents. I’m interested to know what are your thoughts to multi-sensual literature, such as drama, film, or even music (lyric)? Does the addition of visual and sound effects add to or take away the imaginative power of words, power that can stand alone? What comes to mind when I think of this question is film adaptations of books: many people would agree that when they watch a film version of a book, the book is stronger. Maybe because we get to imagine in a book, while a movie does the imagining for us. What do you think?

– Charmaine

2. Hi Alishae,

I appreciate your beautiful description of the power of words, particularly as “the essential key to connecting ourselves to those we know”. Very well put! But I’d like to explore the ways that words connect us to people we do not know. I agree that words can share the sounds and smells that a picture might not, but words are only understood by the people who speak a language. A picture can be understood by anyone. Or, maybe not. Someone who has never seen a place like Canada might only understand a sense of foreign-ness, looking at a landscape photo. Perhaps a picture can act as the words of another language do, as Chamberlin describes when an Australian elder speaks to strangers: “what turned out to be most important about those two words was not their roughly translated meaning but the fact that they could not be translated.” (Chamberlin 14). I guess, after this circular argument with myself, my eventual point is the importance of “untranslatability”, and the need for us to acknowledge that we do not understand. Do you see that misunderstanding as important to the Canadian context?

Thank you!
    Kaitie

Chamberlin, Edward. “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground”. Mississauga, Ontario: Random House of Canada, 2004. Print.