Hi everyone!

Welcome to Allard Law! My name is Erica and I am the Student Coordinator at the Centre for Feminist Legal Studies. The CFLS is an independent, academic centre dedicated to fostering inclusive feminist engagement, research, teaching, and community-building. Students of all genders who support the aims of the CFLS and who value equity and social justice are welcome to become involved in the CFLS community.

We invite you to make use of the Marlee Kline Room, located on the 4th floor of Allard Hall. The Marlee Kline room is a student lounge and library, and is a great space to relax, chat with friends, study, or enjoy a hot cup of tea and cookies. The Marlee Kline room is my favorite spot at Allard as it has allowed me to meet many upper year students in a truly welcoming space (and eat cookies!!).

The CFLS is working hard to provide more opportunities for student engagement in the upcoming school year. Be sure to set aside time for our lecture series on Tuesdays at lunchtime (stay tuned for the schedule!) featuring incredible feminist academics, lawyers, and community members from diverse backgrounds and areas of research. One of my favorite initiatives is the #lawneedsfeminismbecause (LNFB) campaign. The CFLS will be working alongside LNFB this school year (keep an eye out for more updates!)  Be sure to follow the CFLS Facebook page as we have some exciting things planned for the 2018/2019 year!

There are a number of ways to get involved with the CFLS and we would love to hear your ideas! Please reach out to me at cfls@allard.ubc.ca for volunteer opportunities or if you have any questions about the CFLS or 1L in general. I’m always happy to chat!

I look forward to meeting you all at Orientation Week. In the meantime, have a wonderful summer!

-Erica Sandhu