Skip navigation

In reply to Paula Bieler: A Wondrous Pen. Blog post found here:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/paulabieler/2013/11/17/a-wondrous-pen/

Livescribe has invented an amazingly innovative pen. The Pulse Smartpen transforms your handwritten notes and audio recordings into interactive Flash videos, called pencasts that can then be added on to any website. The pen has a built-in speaker and microphone to record audio and a camera that captures everything you write and draw. Once the pen records all your notes, you then hook the device up to your computer via USB and transfer the files. The pencasts can be shared on blogs, websites, Facebook and you can even save your notes as a PDF file or export them into an audio file!

Like Paula, I prefer to handwrite my notes, however they can be a hassle to keep organized. Typing them up afterwards on my computer is a sure way to know I won’t lose them, although it can be time costly. The Pulse Smartpen would be great because I would be able to handwrite my notes, but then have them on my computer without having to take the time to type them up! However, I have to agree with Paula that spending $150 for a pen is not realistic for many people. Hopefully as this product becomes more popular, affordable prices will follow shortly after. The Pulse Smartpen could definitely be in the future of many students!