Task 9 – Network Assignment Using Golden Record Curation Quiz Data

I had to take a deeper look into Stephanie Carr’s curation quiz data. Her and I belonged to the same community and chose 8 of the same 10– no wait, 27 songs! Those are some crazy odds. (I can’t do the math, lol).

Stephanie and I were in the same community, but we were both unsure how Palladio managed to group us that way. We also were left with some of the same questions, most notably- what made us so similar?

So I creeped her blog and tried to find some glimmers of similarities- things that maybe made us ‘the same’. Funny enough, as I was reading some of her posts and I noticed we write in very much the same tone. I bet we even have a bit of the same humour. I picked this up by analyzing some of her sentence structure and noticed some of those nuances.  So maybe our edges are based on a sort of friendship that ‘could’ exist.

So maybe there is something to this—maybe our song choices do reflect something about our social/economic background? Or maybe it also reflects how we have been kind of programmed? Yes- this might sound a bit odd, but after reading through Module 10 and how our attention and time is captivated, I wonder if we have fallen into the same algorithm? Or, has the algorithm placed us together further cementing some pre-existing preferences from our social/political/or economic background? It is hard to tell but also hard not ignore.

When I began this task, I really thought I was just picking music I liked based on how they made me feel. For example, I picked EL Cascabel because I thought of being in Mexico and honestly- the feeling of the sun. But had I also run into images on Instagram lately that are selling me Sunwing vacations? Did these advertisements solidify something?

To reach back to Module 8, where Smith Rumsey (2017) mentions in her YouTube  discussion, “we are creatures of the world we grow up in”. This quote means so much more, instead of just thinking about my family and culture, now I am thinking about my relationship with digital technology.

Smith Rumsey, A. (2017, July 11). Digital Memory: What Can We Afford to Lose [Video] YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrahqg9ZMc&t=2277s