Task 5: Twine & Hypertexts

Anneke’s Twine was amazing. She took the classic ‘choose your own adventure’ plot diagram but translated the experience through a poem. Her experience was different from mine as she flipped between Twine versions (Harlowe) to find the best medium to suit her style. I did read and follow the advice of many Blogs and YouTubes, but that just got me to the changing colours and adding photos into my Twine. For me- that was a big win.

It was refreshing to see that Twine can be manipulated to suit the users needs. I enjoyed ‘creating’ my own poem on her Twine as it was visually impactful (colours associated with lines in the poem). I also liked how I could ‘see’ my whole poem, unlike my version where you lose the previous scene as you follow the story. Anneke, “looked at using Twine to create less of a game and more of a literary experience, to take the flow of my memories”. I simply wanted to make a funny story. Although we were both using the same medium we did manipulate the tech tool to our needs.

What I likes about Anneke’s twine specifically is that is supported something Englebart’s (1963) paper discussed regarding hypertext  and constructivism. Here he makes the point that “the human mind neither learns nor acts by large leaps, but by steps organized or structured so that each one depends upon previous steps” (p.1). I felt Anneke’s poem did a much better job at doing this because we could see our whole poem at the end.