Alvin Koo's Blog

What I’ve learned about myself in Comm 299

April 3rd, 2011 · No Comments

Comm 299 had served as a great tool kit for me as I work towards achieving my career. Fresh from high school I had no idea that my resume, cover letter and job seeking approach was backward. Comm 299 presented a whole new method of landing a job, one which demanded me to be more proactive and competitive.

Reflecting on my past experiences in job seeking I realized my approach was ineffective. My resume and cover letter was unpolished, I waited for employers to contact me and I had no clue what job I really wanted. The summer before I entered UBC I was frustrated with my job search and wasted most of my summer being unemployed.

Now that I have taken Comm 299, there was finally an explanation to why I couldn’t land a job. I simply needed to walk away from traditional job search methods and be much more aggressive and take initiations. I had to be less shy and more willing to go out there and build relations with others. The thought of spending another summer unemployed frightens me, but also gives me the determination to carry out the changes that Comm 299 has suggested. This experience has really uncovered the weaknesses in my reserved attitude in the past and will definitely help with my future career plans.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.