Email 3 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Anusha Saleem <ubcasal15@gmail.com>
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette  <aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: RE: Partnering up for ENGL 301

Hello Anusha,

Thank you for your email, and I would be pleased to form a professional writing team with you for the ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing course for the Winter 2020 semester.

I was interested to see that you have also completed a previous degree in chemical engineering, along with having three years of professional experience. Having also previously completed a university degree and entered my professional field, I feel that our academic and professional experiences are well-suited to forming a proficient professional writing team.

As per the course instructions, I plan on posting this email message to my blog. Please let me know if you have any concerns with including your name and contact information in my blog post.

Thank you again and I look forward to working together this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Email 2 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Quentin Michalchuk <michalchukq@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: RE: ENGL 301 99A Writing Team Invitation

Dear Quentin,

Thank you for your email.  I would be pleased to accept your invitation to join your professional writing team for the Winter 2020 semester of ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing.

I was equally impressed with your academic and professional experiences, and feel that our shared interest in the health sciences will make for a strong and methodical professional writing team. Having also worked on a number of scientific literature reviews, and I am confident that the collaborative and technical writing skills necessary for that work will carry over well to our professional writing team.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to connecting on logistical details and working together this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Email 1 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Rodrigo Samayoa < rsamayoa@alumni.ubc.ca>
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette <aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: ENGL301 99A Professional Writing Team

Dear Rodrigo,

I am emailing in regard to forming a professional writing team for the Winter 2020 semester of ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing.

After reading your application letter, I am wondering if you would be available and interested in joining my professional writing team. I was pleased to see that we share some professional experience in political advocacy in the non-profit sector and feel confident that this shared experience will be useful in working collaboratively and efficiently to meet all of our course expectations and deadlines.

I have enclosed my letter of application for your consideration – please do not hesitate to contact me by email at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com with any questions. I am very much looking forward to working together throughout this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

301 Amina Moustaqim-Barrette Application Letter

Email memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette
September 18, 2020
Memorandum: Submission of Professional Writing Team Letter of Application

Dear Dr. Paterson,

I am writing to you today to inform you that my letter of application to join a professional writing team as part of the ENGL 301 Winter 2020 course has been submitted through my UBC blog. Please see the attachment for my letter of application, which includes:

• A summary of relevant academic and work experience in technical writing, including experience in knowledge translation and writing work in non-profit sector
  • Examples of my experience in collaborative and team-based projects
  • A note about my perceived weaknesses related to technical writing, and the way in which my learning philosophy will complement my role in the professional writing team

Thank you for your instructions and your ongoing guidance in this work. Please feel free to contact me at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com with any questions you may have or to discuss the letter of application.

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Letter of application

2168 West 14th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1J9

September 18, 2020

ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL 301 99A classmates,

I am writing to you today to submit my application to your professional writing team for the duration of the 2020 Winter semester of the ENGL 301 Technical Writing course at the University of British Columbia (UBC).

Since 2018, I have worked as an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC). In this position, I work primarily in biostatistics and data analysis for the purpose of disease surveillance and program evaluation. Much of my work also consists of technical writing through translation of scientific findings for diverse audiences, including through writing annual reports and briefs for policymakers, lay summaries for the public, and peer-reviewed articles for the research community.

Before transitioning into a career as an epidemiologist, I also spent two years working in media relations and advocacy in the non-profit sector. I currently hold a Bachelor of Science from McGill University and Master of Science from UBC, both of which have helped develop my technical writing skills substantively.

My professional and academic experience has allowed me to work extensively on collaborative projects, and I am at my best when I am able to share ideas and cooperate with others. In recognition of the course requirements and quick turn-around required for assignments, I have proven experience as a timely, effective, and responsive team member.

In regard to my weaknesses in technical writing, I have limited experience in creating visualisations or aesthetically pleasing outputs to complement my writing work. My learning philosophy involves always being open to new learning opportunities, and constantly engaging with new subjects and perspectives – a philosophy that I hope my team will share.

I feel that I would be a valuable asset to your professional writing team and would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss further. Please feel free to reach me at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com at your convenience. Thank you for considering my application and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Amina Moustaqim-Barrette