Unit Three Reflection Blog

In Unit 3, we began the process of learning to write with a YOU attitude and applying this type of writing for professional purposes. We also had the chance to conduct our surveys and interviews, and draft the final report, as well as provide peer review for our peer’s final report. As we come to the end of Unit 3, here are some of my reflections regarding the latest pieces of work completed and lessons from each:

Lesson 3:1 – Writing with the right attitude: The writing with a YOU attitude, including the memorandum to Evan Crisp and the business letters, presented a useful exercise in orienting our writing in professional settings. It was surprisingly difficult to edit myself from using personal pronouns throughout my writing while maintaining a friendly tone, and I enjoyed the process of learning to do so. I felt this process become easier as we moved through the different assignments.

Lesson 3:2 – Drafting a formal report: Reaching out to colleagues about the formal report, and seeing responses role in, was an enjoyable outside-of-work activity. I enjoyed creating the visualisations for the formal report, as it allowed me to use and improve my skills in graphic design software. After putting significant thought and energy into the formal report, it was nice to see everything come together in a draft. I was also thankful for the draft assignment, which forced me to stay on top of my timeline and get everything done that needed to be included.

Lesson 3:3 – Reading your Formal Reports and planning for the future. Finally, we were tasked with peer review of our peer’s formal report.  I thought this exercise was extremely useful, as it allowed me to see how my peer decided to structure his report and gave me ideas for editing my own report. I’m sure that my peer’s recommendations on my own report will also be extremely helpful for perfecting the draft.

Thanks and looking forward to the final unit!

Amina