Reflection on Web Folio

The Web Folio assignment provided the opportunity to consolidate my professional and educational experience in one place. I enjoyed the process of perfecting my resume and cover letter, and found it incredibly useful to get my peer’s perspective and feedback on my work. It is not often that your resume or cover letter is read by others, and the assumptions related to clarity and readability that you make regarding your own work are sometimes detrimental when applying to work positions.

The experience inspired me to create my own website outside of the ENGL 301 course, where I can add my professional interests and thoughts, and use as a visual and interactive element to point prospective employers to when applying to jobs.

Self-Assessment Blog

Over the course of the semester, I have had the opportunity to practice my professional and technical writing skills. This has involved breaking bad habits and forming new ones, and the skills I take away from the course will be useful across careers and for my entire professional life.

French is my first language, but having worked and studied in English, I am confident in my English writing skills. I enjoy reading and writing as a past time, but relished in the opportunity to gain feedback and constructive criticism on my writing skills. Especially in professional settings, having good writing and communication skills can be an incredible facilitator, or barrier, to advancement.

In the field of public health, it is equally important to develop writing and communication skills for effective messaging and risk communication. As we have seen with the COVID-19 pandemic, some public health messaging is better received by some segments of the population than others. To keep the populace informed, it is vital that we are able to effectively communicate scientific findings and statistics, as well as their limits.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course, and am glad for the practice and experience i have gained in developing my technical writing abilities. Thank you for your feedback and guidance!

Unit Three Reflection Blog

In Unit 3, we began the process of learning to write with a YOU attitude and applying this type of writing for professional purposes. We also had the chance to conduct our surveys and interviews, and draft the final report, as well as provide peer review for our peer’s final report. As we come to the end of Unit 3, here are some of my reflections regarding the latest pieces of work completed and lessons from each:

Lesson 3:1 – Writing with the right attitude: The writing with a YOU attitude, including the memorandum to Evan Crisp and the business letters, presented a useful exercise in orienting our writing in professional settings. It was surprisingly difficult to edit myself from using personal pronouns throughout my writing while maintaining a friendly tone, and I enjoyed the process of learning to do so. I felt this process become easier as we moved through the different assignments.

Lesson 3:2 – Drafting a formal report: Reaching out to colleagues about the formal report, and seeing responses role in, was an enjoyable outside-of-work activity. I enjoyed creating the visualisations for the formal report, as it allowed me to use and improve my skills in graphic design software. After putting significant thought and energy into the formal report, it was nice to see everything come together in a draft. I was also thankful for the draft assignment, which forced me to stay on top of my timeline and get everything done that needed to be included.

Lesson 3:3 – Reading your Formal Reports and planning for the future. Finally, we were tasked with peer review of our peer’s formal report.  I thought this exercise was extremely useful, as it allowed me to see how my peer decided to structure his report and gave me ideas for editing my own report. I’m sure that my peer’s recommendations on my own report will also be extremely helpful for perfecting the draft.

Thanks and looking forward to the final unit!

Amina

Unit Two Reflection Blog

In Unit 2, we began the process of thinking-through and setting-up our formal reports. We also had the chance to learn about the benefits of setting up a good Linked-In profile and putting those learnings into practice. As we come to the end of Unit 2, here are some of my reflections regarding the latest pieces of work completed and lessons from each:

Lesson 2:1 – Research Proposal for a Formal Report: The research proposal gave us a chance to think through a problem or inefficiency in a work or community setting. In my current workplace (as with workplaces everywhere), employees have had to adjust to rapidly changing circumstances due to COVID-19. Measures placed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic have often been envisioned as short-term solutions, but as the pandemic wears on, there are several policies that need revision to ensure the health and sustainability of the workforce. For my research proposal, I chose to examine the effects of our site’s return-to-work policy. In order to accommodate new public health orders, I have found that the policies have been overly stringent about the way individuals request office time in order to accomplish their tasks. This seemed like a feasible and actionable project for the formal report, and I enjoyed thinking through the process. My original research proposal for a formal report can be found here.

After submitting my research proposal, my teammate Evan revised the proposal and offered helpful revisions. I find the peer review process extremely valuable, as it often helps improve not only the product at hand but allows me to revise my writing practices more generally. At the same time, I had the opportunity to review Mitchell’s report proposal in regard to improving student life and engagement in his role as an executive of the UBC Residence Hall Association. I enjoyed the process of reviewing Mitchell’s proposal, which allowed me to learn more about my teammate and about issues affecting students on campus. Evan’s revision of my proposal can be found here, and my peer review of Mitchell’s proposal here.

Lesson 2:2 – Networking and Resume Building: After a short research exercise involving LinkedIn best practice, we were asked to put our learnings to use by building our own LinkedIn profile. While I have had a LinkedIn profile for many years, I have used it very rarely. I found the practice of building my LinkedIn profile for this assignment extremely helpful, as it allowed me to consolidate my experience and skills in one place, including more detailed aspects of my experience (specific skills and coursework) that I have generally left off my CV. My original memo regarding LinkedIn best practice can be found here, and my LinkedIn profile here.

Along with creating my own LinkedIn profile, I had the chance of reviewing my teammate Rodrigo’s profile. Reading through Rodrigo’s profile really showed me the potential of a good LinkedIn profile – I found his to be extremely interesting and professional and could definitely see how an employer would be keen to hire or reach out to someone with a profile like his!

Lesson 2:3 – Outlines and Progress Reports: Finally, we were tasked with detailing our progress for the formal report, including submission of survey questions and research plans. I thought this exercise was extremely useful, as the timeline for completing the formal report is relatively short. It also helped me think through possible barriers to completing the formal report, and plan ahead for any issues that may arise. Having a set timeline and detailed task list will undoubtedly help me ensure that things are accomplished in a timely fashion and that important tasks do not fall off my to-do list

Evan’s revision of my proposal can be found here.

My revised formal report proposal: 301 Amina Moustaqim-Barrette Revised Research Proposal for a Formal Report

Amina

Unit One Reflection Blog

In Unit 1, we set up our student blogs and learned more about our classmates through our bios and letters of application. It was interesting to see how many students come from a scientific background, and the collective breadth of academic and professional experience in the class. I enjoyed creating my personal blog and the process of reaching out and creating a team with my classmates. As we come to the end of Unit 1, here are some of my reflections regarding the latest pieces of work completed and lessons from each:

Definition writing: Having used the term ‘naloxone’ in a professional environment for quite some time, it was a helpful exercise to try to define it in such a way that anyone – regardless of academic background or public health knowledge – could understand. The majority of my work products have been for consumption by the research community, where some level of subject-specific knowledge is expected. The parenthetical definition in particular presented an important challenge of defining a new term in very few words and relying only on the context of the sentence to help the reader’s understanding, while the sentence definition offered some leeway in this regard. The expanded definition was a good exercise in including more information but knowing where to stop. Of course, any word or term could have pages-long expanded definitions, so I enjoyed the exercise of choosing what as most important or useful for the audience in the chosen situation.

Peer review process: After our definitions were posted, our team agreed that I would review Evan’s definition of ‘scaffolding’, while Mitchell would review my definition. I enjoyed reviewing Evan’s assignment, and felt that I learnt a lot from reading through his definitions. I found it challenging to put my recommendations in writing in such a way that would make it clear and easy to follow my recommendations. Often, I can read a sentence and while there is nothing particularly wrong with that sentence, I sometimes have the feeling that it sounds ‘awkward’. Through the peer-review exercise I discovered that these sorts of edits are related to ‘flow’. Overall, I found that I enjoyed the editing process, and found it helpful to go through each section and organise the review in the same way as the original assignment.

Editing process: Concurrently, Mitchell revised my definitions assignment and posted his review on our team forum. I always find it helpful to get a second pair of eyes on my work, and I enjoyed reading Mitchell’s revisions. It brought my attention to the fact that I tend to use some jargon in my writing, like the word ‘ampoule’ (another word for ‘vial’). Using these technical terms casually in my writing is a remnant of the scientific writing process that I am accustomed to, and it is helpful when someone outside of my field is able to spot these and bring them to my attention. After receiving the peer review, I went through my original definitions and applied the feedback provided. Mitchell organised his review in a way that was easy to follow and apply to my work, which I appreciated.

My original definition of naloxone for Assignment 1:3 can be found here.

Mitchell’s peer review of my definition can be found here.

The revised definition of naloxone, with Mitchell’s revisions incorporated, can be found here,

Looking forward to unit two!

Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Email 3 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Anusha Saleem <ubcasal15@gmail.com>
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette  <aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: RE: Partnering up for ENGL 301

Hello Anusha,

Thank you for your email, and I would be pleased to form a professional writing team with you for the ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing course for the Winter 2020 semester.

I was interested to see that you have also completed a previous degree in chemical engineering, along with having three years of professional experience. Having also previously completed a university degree and entered my professional field, I feel that our academic and professional experiences are well-suited to forming a proficient professional writing team.

As per the course instructions, I plan on posting this email message to my blog. Please let me know if you have any concerns with including your name and contact information in my blog post.

Thank you again and I look forward to working together this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Email 2 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Quentin Michalchuk <michalchukq@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: RE: ENGL 301 99A Writing Team Invitation

Dear Quentin,

Thank you for your email.  I would be pleased to accept your invitation to join your professional writing team for the Winter 2020 semester of ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing.

I was equally impressed with your academic and professional experiences, and feel that our shared interest in the health sciences will make for a strong and methodical professional writing team. Having also worked on a number of scientific literature reviews, and I am confident that the collaborative and technical writing skills necessary for that work will carry over well to our professional writing team.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to connecting on logistical details and working together this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Email 1 – Forming a professional writing team

To: Rodrigo Samayoa < rsamayoa@alumni.ubc.ca>
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette <aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com>
Date: September 23, 2020
Subject: ENGL301 99A Professional Writing Team

Dear Rodrigo,

I am emailing in regard to forming a professional writing team for the Winter 2020 semester of ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing.

After reading your application letter, I am wondering if you would be available and interested in joining my professional writing team. I was pleased to see that we share some professional experience in political advocacy in the non-profit sector and feel confident that this shared experience will be useful in working collaboratively and efficiently to meet all of our course expectations and deadlines.

I have enclosed my letter of application for your consideration – please do not hesitate to contact me by email at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com with any questions. I am very much looking forward to working together throughout this semester!

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

301 Amina Moustaqim-Barrette Application Letter

Email memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson
From: Amina Moustaqim-Barrette
September 18, 2020
Memorandum: Submission of Professional Writing Team Letter of Application

Dear Dr. Paterson,

I am writing to you today to inform you that my letter of application to join a professional writing team as part of the ENGL 301 Winter 2020 course has been submitted through my UBC blog. Please see the attachment for my letter of application, which includes:

• A summary of relevant academic and work experience in technical writing, including experience in knowledge translation and writing work in non-profit sector
  • Examples of my experience in collaborative and team-based projects
  • A note about my perceived weaknesses related to technical writing, and the way in which my learning philosophy will complement my role in the professional writing team

Thank you for your instructions and your ongoing guidance in this work. Please feel free to contact me at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com with any questions you may have or to discuss the letter of application.

Sincerely,
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette

Letter of application

2168 West 14th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K 1J9

September 18, 2020

ENGL 301 99A – Technical Writing
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL 301 99A classmates,

I am writing to you today to submit my application to your professional writing team for the duration of the 2020 Winter semester of the ENGL 301 Technical Writing course at the University of British Columbia (UBC).

Since 2018, I have worked as an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC). In this position, I work primarily in biostatistics and data analysis for the purpose of disease surveillance and program evaluation. Much of my work also consists of technical writing through translation of scientific findings for diverse audiences, including through writing annual reports and briefs for policymakers, lay summaries for the public, and peer-reviewed articles for the research community.

Before transitioning into a career as an epidemiologist, I also spent two years working in media relations and advocacy in the non-profit sector. I currently hold a Bachelor of Science from McGill University and Master of Science from UBC, both of which have helped develop my technical writing skills substantively.

My professional and academic experience has allowed me to work extensively on collaborative projects, and I am at my best when I am able to share ideas and cooperate with others. In recognition of the course requirements and quick turn-around required for assignments, I have proven experience as a timely, effective, and responsive team member.

In regard to my weaknesses in technical writing, I have limited experience in creating visualisations or aesthetically pleasing outputs to complement my writing work. My learning philosophy involves always being open to new learning opportunities, and constantly engaging with new subjects and perspectives – a philosophy that I hope my team will share.

I feel that I would be a valuable asset to your professional writing team and would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss further. Please feel free to reach me at aminamoustaqim377@gmail.com at your convenience. Thank you for considering my application and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Amina Moustaqim-Barrette