Victoria

I’ve lived in Victoria for more than a year now and I haven’t found the time to appreciate this city. Some days I feel like this is the closest to heaven on earth, and some days I feel like I’m not ready to die here yet. So deep in my heart I’m torn and I’m not sure I will be here for the long term, so I want to make sure I have all the fondest memories in this small city.

A lot of businesses close fairly early. Bakeries close at 4.30-5.00 pm, so I usually would rush to them after work to get what I need. The good news though is downtown is never too crowded for too long into the night. There are so many hidden spots that one can enjoy on their own.

Golden hour in the late summer is the best time to wander around and not be burned by the heat. So often I find random stores that I never bothered to explore in Vancouver. There’s a small Italian deli with the best truffle pesto, a Filipino market with kickass halo halo, a South American store with my favourite Brazilian mate, and Japanese stores with that citrus-y paste that Mika and Dave introduced to me.

The Inner Harbour is the most popular spot for photos, but I find the streets in the outskirts of downtown or Chinatown to be the most charming. The city definitely tries to retain some of the older architecture.

On a holiday afternoon, the city feels calm and relaxed, yet not completely empty. It feels just the right vibe to enjoy time off and still feel surrounded by people.

Ever since I discovered the Victoria Library I have been making use of the proximity to my apartment and saving on buying books. It’s nothing like the Toronto Library but it tries to do something different.

I also spend a fair bit of time at the ferries going back and forth between Vancouver and Victoria. The tranquility of the water and nature really soothes the length of the journey, and it’s nowhere nearly as crammed and annoying like airports. Even when things aren’t running on schedule, I have something to enjoy.

I guess that sums up Victoria quite well. It’s nowhere nearly as good as any of the big cities in terms of art, culture, food. But because of the weather, the pace of life, one is more inclined to forgive its lack of substance and just let the city be what it is, not think about what it isn’t.