Helsinki

I only had two days in Helsinki, but they were very relaxing and calming. I spent a whole day at Stockman to satisfy the shopaholic in me, and another day biking around the city and surrounding areas like Lehtisari and Lauttasaari. Where are the people? Rush hour in Helsinki is so gentle.

WP_20151124_15_05_15_Pro

The city in late November sparkles in Christmas lights. The main Academic Bookstore in the city center lights up with decorations. I wanted to buy so many books there, even the Finnish ones, and for a moment I wish I was Finnish.

It’s a city I want to get lost in. Hop on a bike and put on some good jogging shoes and turn off the GPS and be completely lost. I don’t know what’s beyond the water and parks, and I don’t know what this street is called, but I don’t mind not knowing. I somehow ended up in a residential area with big houses – perhaps they’re summer houses – and it was quiet I could hear the highway traffic from kilometers away. The sound of wind and the water harmonizing made me feel tranquil. Happy.

The city is so safe at any time. The bike store owner who rented me a bike was fine with me leaving the bike unlocked outside. “It’s Finland, you know!”, he said. In the stillness of the city, I was dazed and dreamy. By the water bank, I fantasized about drifting off into the water on a small boat and read a book. It was dark and gloomy – but it’s the unique feeling of just drifting out into the unknown, knowing you will always find your own home.

Then when I hit a dead end, I thought, does that mean my little adventure is over? But a city always extends beyond its cul-de-sacs and closed roads and what tourists experience in a short time. Helsinki can feel like home to those who are willing to stay long enough and discover the city’s nooks and crannies.

WP_20151124_14_33_46_Pro

The end of a journey is not the end of an adventure.