Best Works

Below is a collection of my best works from the course ENGL 301. All assignments are revised as per the peer reviews and Dr. Paterson’s feedback.

Revised Definition for fMRI

• The purpose of this assignment was to provide an audience with an understanding of a complex term or process, using a parenthetical definition, a sentence definition, and an expanded definition. I also needed to include visuals and citations. This assignment was challenging to write. Speaking in layman’s terms is much simpler than writing without jargon or losing meaning.
  • I made the assignment more visually appealing by bolding the header, centering the visuals, and providing clarity to distinguish MRI from fMRI as advised by the peer review.
  • Please see the Revised Definition.

Peer Review of the Definition Assignment

• The purpose of the peer review was to learn how to provide feedback on a teammate’s assignment without using imperative verbs and avoiding any “person” language such as “you,” “the author,” or “the reader.” I was impressed with my first try as it received a high grade.
  • No revisions were suggested.
  • Please see Peer Review 1.

Revised Proposal Memo

• The purpose of the formal report proposal was to find an inefficiency in a public setting, for example, work or school, investigate it, analyze the data, and make recommendations about how to solve the problem. This assignment was the start of our formal report proposal.
  • The proposal was immediately approved by Dr. Paterson. No revisions were requested.
  • Please see the Revised Proposal Memo. The link to the full proposal is included in the memo.

Revised Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report with Surveys

• The formal report proposal was to be composed for Dr. Paterson but written for a specific audience. I chose a subject that was personally affecting me (the lack of online courses at UBC), which made the topic fun to write about. Learning to write with a YOU attitude was important as this proposal was persuasive. To collect the data, primary and secondary sources of information were required. I constructed a survey for students and interview questions for professors and conducted a literature review to support the findings. The revised formal report proposal was post a peer review. The progress report on the proposal report outlines the intended audience, the purpose, and significance, the objective, the research plans complete with links to the survey, and a writing schedule to stay on task. 
  • My peer review suggested I write my data collection section in the present tense instead of the past. I revised several formatting errors (spelling of numbers, improper use of abbreviations, including page numbers, etc.). I also tried to use fewer imperative verbs as directed. Dr. Paterson pointed out that I did not include the definition of a course presented solely online without Zoom; I added that definition under the asychronous course. She also suggested I correct two sentences where I had the tense wrong as well as fix an error of expression. On the progress report, Dr. Paterson asked me to revise a couple of survey questions to increase clarity, and once completed, she approved survey dissemination.
  • Please see both the Revised Formal Proposal and the Progress Report on Proposal & Link to Survey.

Revised LinkedIn Best Practices Memo

• The purpose of this assignment was to provide my writing team with the top ten best practices for professional social networking o LinkedIn. 
  • I received full marks and no revisions were necessary. 
  • Please see the LinkedIn Top Ten Best Practices.

Revised Memo to Evan Crisp

• The purpose of this assignment was to advise a student on how to write a professor in a YOU attitude via email which the intention of persuading the professor to allow him into his course. I easily avoided using imperative verbs and instructed the student via a memo on composing a professional and respectful email to a professor. 
  • Dr. Paterson advised me to avoid signing off on memos, so the correction was made.
  • Please see the Memo to Evan Crisp.

Revised Peer Review of a Formal Report

• The purpose of this assignment was to review our teammate’s formal proposal draft. This peer review was one of the tougher pieces to write, as the content was much longer to review than the previous two. I thoroughly analyzed the document and made several recommendations. I avoided the use of imperative verbs and thoughtfully expressed the revisions. I am particularly proud of the assignment.
  • I received full marks and no revisions were required.
  • Please see the Peer Review 3.