Long Practicum Reflection Feb. 20th

Here is another excerpt from my daily journal of reflections during my long practicum.

“1 block of B (second block) lost to Kalabunga Daze.
Must build student examples and teaching into the next lesson. Remember to ask Jxxx and Kxxx to explain their process and to show their work in progress to the class. Differentiation can help build student expectations by seeing positive peer examples.
Check out Bill Martin Jr.’s picture books for FONT. Inventive ways of integrating typography into the visuals.
Read Robert Frost’s “Road Not Taken” for mindful listening time tomorrow.
Showed them different map types and some map art. Ed Fairburn, typography, treasure map, sewn map – different ways to emphasize or focus the viewers attention.

Demo and do-along for Picture Plane. How to move things from background to foreground (and reverse) using size, value, detail and overlapping.

Booked two computer labs and took class to print pictures for reference so no reason students won’t have reference images anymore.

Have to find a better way to organize how students return to class. They went down to the labs quietly, but the return to class was haphazard. Partly due to my SA still being in the classroom and so they knew that the room was open and didn’t want to wait around. I suppose if it was just me they couldn’t return because the door would be locked. They’d have to stay with me so I would have to have something to keep them occupied.”