My CFE at Burnaby Art Gallery

I had a fantastic community practicum at the Burnaby Art Gallery in Deer Lake Park in Burnaby, BC. The gallery is beautiful and the people who do the education programing are even more lovely.
As soon as I arrived and was given a tour I was left to organize a public art project to happen during the Shadbolt Center’s Rhododendron Day. I was given free reign creatively and of the supply cupboard. I organized tables, schedules, supplies, set-up, take-down, clean-up, instructions for the volunteers, information sheets for the public and made many exemplars to guide the public in their creative process.
During my brief 3 weeks there I also had a chance to docent with school groups, leading them through the exhibits and having them think about the art work, who made it and why. After the tour we would head back to the fireside room to work on artwork related to the show.
Because the BAG’s mandate is to showcase paper based work, they have a strong focus on traditional printmaking. I was lucky enough to learn a few things from the people there. I learned how to do dry point etching and experimented with relief lino-cutting . It was a privilege to learn from such talented artists!!

Dry Point Printing

Takach Printing Press

Dry Point - The big reveal

Evaluation

Lino Printing at the BAG