Assignment 3:7 – The One With The Sun Dance and Remote Control

UPDATE: I completely did the wrong section at first (due to different editions – I completely ditz out and not even checked if I was doing the right one), so this post will be kind of long because I’ll be posting about the correct section while also leaving the wrong one since someone left a comment about it, so it’ll be included as a reference to that dialogue.)

GGRW start: This according to Hawkeye: …”[273]. End: “This is a lot of fun, Coyote says ….” [278]. – Paterson, ENG 470A

My section covers two parts: One is Hawkeye’s turn about his story of the creation. It involves an Old Woman that is looking around and finding things to eat, and that’s when she finds a big tree with a tender root. She finds it tasty and wants to eat it but the tender root jumps back into the hole and beneath the big tree. The Old Woman then grabbed a digging stick to follow the tender root, but she ended up digging so much that she fell into the hole and into the sky.

The story is a biblical allusion to the story of Eve. King effectively blends the story of Genesis (2:4-3:24) and Native creation stories. King writes the Old Woman as a native version of Eve, who wants to eat the tender root (forbidden apple) who then falls into a hole (like Eve was banished from the garden).

The mix between Christian and Native mythical stories is only underlined when Coyote interrupts Hawkeye’s story,

“Hey, hey,” says Coyote, “I know this story. I can tell this story.”

“Are you sure? I says.

“You bet,” says Coyote. “This is the same story.”

With the way Coyote has been portrayed as a possible allusion to God (his ability to create rain and storms through dancing, start earthquakes, etc) his claim that “this is the same story” highlights the way King mixes the creation story of both Christian and Native stories. There is a self-awareness there, called out by Coyote himself (the Native version of God, much like the Old Woman is the Native version of Eve) that confirms such allusions.

The next section shows everyone singing happy birthday to Lionel while Bill Bursum aggressively tries to replay the death of John Wayne and Richard Widmark in the movie. This is a pop culture allusion that King incorporates to deal with the tension in his book. There has always been the glorification of Western people killing the Native Americans in movies. But in the section, King writes John and Richard being killed off and with the Native Americans as the heroes, reversing the racist and stereotype of contemporary culture.

This connects to the way everyone is singing to Lionel, “There was no place for Lionel to go, and he stood there as the old Indians and Eli…sang four choruses of “happy birthday” (330). Lionel wants himself to be the John Wayne, but is of course a Native and is then trapped in his own culture and away from the Western. But the way this section is showcased, with John Wayne being massacred while Lionel is celebrated, shows how King is able to revise the Western supremacy and crush it, offering the leading role not only to the Natives in the intertextual movie, but to Lionel.

Bill Bursum’s refusal to join in as he “stood there and pushing buttons, cursing, pushing buttons” highlights his stance on his (even subtly) disrespect against the Native Americans. Not only does he not join in in celebrating Lionel’s birthday with everyone, he keeps trying to press at the remote, a probable allusion to his (a white man) need to control the movie or perhaps the situation (the Native Americans), and gets frustrated when he could not. Which of course reflects his name in allusion to the Bursum Bill.

Work Cited:

The Interntional Version. Ed. Susan Jones. New York: Doubleday, 1985. Print.

Levy, Emmanuel. “John Wayne: Native Americans.” Emanuel Levy. 13 Nov. 2006. Web. 15 July 2015.

Joinson, Carla. “Indians, Insanity, and American History Blog.” Indians Insanity and American History Blog. WordPress, 6 Mar. 2011. Web. 12 July 2015.

“The Lone Ranger, Hawkeye, and Robinson Crusoe stood outside Bill Bursum’s Home Entertainment Barn and watched Ishmael dance in a tight circle.”

The gathering of all the Old Indians outside Bill Bursum’s is an allusion to the Bursum Bill and the challenges faced by the Native Americans. There’s something about their presence there, all together, as well as the mention of their location that alludes to the belonging of Indian land to the whites – the fact that they’re outside the barn, I think is the main focus and vital mention.

“That looks more Kiowa to me.”

The Kiowa Nation, who practiced their Sun dance for over a hundred years, “was crushed by both military and cultural pressures from the United States in the later part of the nineteenth century.” Their land and lives were taken away. It connects to the allusion to the Bursum Bill and its representation in the section of the book. The four Aboriginal men are gathered together outside a place that embodies the bill that challenged the Native Americans, doing the dance of a nation that was overruled, similarly, by white people.

And of course, Coyote does the dance that produces rain, acting very much like God (much like how he’s been throughout the book – the earthquake, the dam) who can change the weather by his own “Indian” means through his own version of a dance.

This connects to the contrast of the mention of remote controls with Dr. Hovaugh and Babo at the hotel. While Coyote is able to control the weather by himself, the “white” people represented by Dr. Hovaugh rely on remote controls and other manmade devices (credit card, car). This scene and the contrast to the four Indians in the previous chapter represents colonialism and the stark difference of the way of living between the whites and the non-whites (with the luxury of a hotel and cars versus their dances outside the barn respectively). It is the representation of the differences between Western inventions versus the Native American practice.

This difference then is shown to be blended in the next chapter when Lionel decides to attend the University of Toronto, mentioning how he would attend the Sun Dance with his parents while also inviting him to go to the movies with him,

“Maybe you and Mom would like to go to a movie in town.”

“Are you it’s no trouble?”

“No trouble at all. I’m thinking I’ll go to the Sun Dance with you, too.”

The coexistence of tradition with Western practices are modelled positively by Lionel. It’s the effect of colonialism with postcolonialism, where the impact of Western culture delivered on Native Americans are seen, but their own practices have not been diminished and can be incorporated alongside a postcolonial environment. (Perhaps it’s even an allusion to pop culture reference of the Sundance Film Festival).

Reflection:

I think my section, even if it’s relatively short, perfectly encapsulates the allusions King makes to colonialism, its effects and the showcase of differences between Native American culture and Western culture by demonstrating their own practices by their own means. It’s been truly fun to read and analyze, even though I’m not really sure if I may have dove into it far too much or not enough, but I still found King’s historic and cultural allusions in this section really effective.

Work Cited:

Mikkanen, Arvo Quoetone. “The Last Kiowa Sun Dance.” Rebelcherokee. 1 July 1987. Web. 12 July 2015.
Jaoude, Antoine A. “You Can Shift It! On Postcolonial Nationalism and New Media Arts.” University of California, 2010. Web. 12 July 2015.

2 thoughts on “Assignment 3:7 – The One With The Sun Dance and Remote Control

1. Hi! Thank you for your blog. I am curious, when King is writing about the remote controls, that Whites in the story had things to try to control other things, and when Coyote acts like God to create rain, do you think that King portrays one way as better than the other? I think that when Coyote creates the rain it is symbolic of the connection that First Nations have traditionally have between themselves and nature. Do you think that King thinks this is superior to the Western way of trying to manipulate nature?

• Hi Alyssa, thanks for your comment! Your question is so interesting I actually had to pause and consider how I’ll answer it. I do think King seems to poke holes in the Western storytelling (ie the killing of John Wayne to disrupt that stereotype against the usual death of Native Americans in Western movies) or parodies them in some ways in his book. While all the same incorporates First Nation beliefs and rituals in his text (Coyote’s dancing and singing, the creation stories involving the First Woman and the Old Woman, and so on) and twists the Christian stories (The flood, forbidden fruit, Genesis creation stories) into a more Native American version. But I don’t think he does this because he believes that First Nations way is more superior. I think he does this because the West believes they ARE superior to the Native culture and King mischievously balances that tension out in his book by disputing the stereotypes of superior Whites and inferior First Nations and switching up the roles in such subtle and clever ways. It’s one of what I enjoy most about his writing.

All the best!