Imagine Day: The definition of AWESOME.

Forgive my lack of posting, I was very occupied after being lost around the campus for the past few days. (I finally remember the route from Vanier to my classes….) But I am here after an eventful day clearly tired and exhausted from my first classes (which if I do have the strength, I will elaborate further about it)

Imagine Day was clearly one of the highlights of my first week so far. It was filled with lots of tours and events that would make bystanders green with envy, or awe. So here’s the recap:

• MUG (My undergraduate group) Basil: On Imagine Day faculties use MUG groups for first years and transfers that act as a way to get together, interact and make friends while representing their faculty. Mine was called Basil which is totally cool with me. I love food, don’t judge. Our MUG leader, Connie, was super friendly and enthusiastic. My group had around 13 people which was pretty enormous compared to most faculties.
  • Wear black if you’re in LFS: Yeah, at first everyone looked a bit depressed with the black attire. It doesn’t help that other faculties have vibrant or bright colors to represent (I’m looking at you, Engineering and Kinesiology) But hey, embrace your colors. Black is the new black.
  • 8:00 AM Arrival
  • 8:30 AM BREAKFAST: The perks of being part of a faculty immersed with agriculture and food is that you get breakfast -which means really tasty pancakes. Needless to say, I had no trouble demolishing the poor pancake.
  • 9:30 AM Meet the Dean: Our dean was extremely welcoming though he did warn us to be realistic about our progress and marks in academic courses. it can be overwhelming just thinking about our academics. Being such a small faculty, you can’t help but feel like you get to know the place a bit better.
  • 10:30 AM Campus Tour: Our MUG leader showed us around the campus.  Since I moved in, I had trouble finding my class building. I always seem to forget which direction to go and having a large campus can be a bit daunting when you look for your class.I really really love the Birdcoop and I probably should get a membership there soon because working out at the fitness room at Vanier can be awkward aka clear glass walls which everyone gets a good glimpse of you looking all sweaty and gross. I found my Biol 112 classroom as well as my CHEM 121 class (in ye old chemistry building).
  • 11:45 AM Student Success Workshop: Ways for success! One of the LFS 100 teachers introduced himself and gave us a nice pep talk about building skills for success. He encouraged the students to give their best effort in every subject and find a good balance between school and social life.
  • 12:45 PM Lunch: Burgers, veggies and chips, oh my!
  • Our Faculty Cheer goes a little bit like this: ‘Yeah Yeah Yeah, we got the land, yeah yeah yeah, we got the food, yeah yeah yeah, we got the l-l-l-l, LFS, the best!’ (shhh, it’s cool and you know it) 
  • 1:30 PM Pep Rally: Located in the Thunderbird Arena, it’s the climax of Imagine Day. The Battle of the Faculties. It’s like a Canucks playoff except for the sea of red, black, blue and other colors. In fact, Mark Donnelly, the famous Canucks anthem singer came by to sing the national anthem for us. Seriously, for a small faculty like LFS, we held our ground becuase we clearly screamed our heads off trying to best the other faculties. I give major props to the music faculty, because they were the smallest and they were more accurate, beat-wise in their cheers. Then we had our Chancellor and AMS president address us with a lovely, welcoming speech. The word ‘awesome’ is frequently overused, and its true meaning often muddled by mundane things. but this event was clearly AWESOME.
  • 3:15 PM The Main Event: In my honest opinion, the Pep Rally was the Main Event. But nevertheless, this was where UBC clubs and organizations were showcased to the students. At times, you felt like you were in a human sandwich with all the students around, but it’s soooo worth it (You get to join a few clubs and who doesn’t love free stuff?)

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

2 Responses to Imagine Day: The definition of AWESOME.

1. It’s called the Main Event cuz it’s on Main Mall. Get it? 😛
    Although this year because of construction it wasn’t entirely on Main Mall…