The Importance of Management Information Technology

For the purpose of this blog post, I’ve decided to move away from current events in the media and speak about my experience as a new insurance (autoplan) agent using the systems provided by ICBC. I only want to point out the reasons why I feel it is important for an industry as such to improve the technologies used.

For example, part of my daily task is to keep track of inventory (plates and decals) by performing audits. As an insurance brokerage, we have possession of hundreds of plates and decals, and simply missing one would come to a fine of $1000. However, the tracking system provided to us is not up to par with systems in other industries as we have to physically count and keep note of every plate and decal we should have, according to the online system that doesn’t necessarily update at precise times to indicate whether the inventory has been issued to clients or not. My analysis has shown that management information technology can be used to improve communication between ICBC and insurance brokerages. Not to mention, decals are very small and can easily go missing, therefore, I feel it is important to find improved methods of securing and tracking inventory.