The Story

Crystal City by Sejbyl

I have a great story to tell you. This is a story of a people, a civilization. This is the story of the Danu Talis.

Thousands of years ago, existed the most beautiful, most technollogically, and most spiritually advanced civilization within the Milky Way galaxy. Cascading crystalline architecture, mesmerizing illuminescent surroundings, and never-ending resources were prominent in their society. The Crystal City, as many would call it, was full of light, life, and advanced knowledge surrounding crystal technology. Manipulating, changing, and expanding the crystal energy harvested within the city’s core allowed the citizens to flourish under it’s abundant uses. Unfathomable amounts of energy was available for everyone because it was given and shared by every member of Danu Talis through inner love and intention. Governed by the prevalents of feminine energy and instincts, the Danu Talis were masters of intution and emotion. They believed in equality between all sexes, and lived within the belief that nothing is more important than the community. Interdependance and collectivism was prominent within society, with problems and issues seen as ‘our issues’ rather than ‘your issues’. Marrige, love, and unionism was based on growth and experience. Divorce and seperation were seen as possible, and positive, outcomes to life. Mutual cooperation and understanding between both parties resulted in positive endings rather than harsh arguements. Anxiety, depression, anger, and fear were emotions not focused or even experienced within society. Every action was taken with the thought of communal evolution. No matter the situation or circumstance, an experience was simply an experience beneficial and positive for the entire spiritual collective consciousness of the community. There was no negativity, but simply caring, compassion, and love.

Past recollections and story-telling were a common source of entertainement for the parties, as well as a way to connect with family and friends. Stories of love, trust, abundance, excitement, and joy were passed on from one generation to the next. The stories and histories were accessible to anyone, and everything within the Crystal City. Technological advances allowed memory and data to be storied throughout the crystal foundations surrounding every household. The data was shared, transmuted, and inscripted simply through touch and intention. Everything was stored within the collective consciousness of the city, because everyone was equal, no one deserved more or less than anyone.

As the decades of abundance went by, and the people experienced and grew through the Golden Ages, the scientific advances and progressions began to misalign with the civilizations spiritual aptitudes. Technology was moved faster than the people’s spiritual selves and intuitions were able to keep up with. Previous scientific research and studies that aimed to improve civilization, began to take a careless turn. Once beneficial experiments to enhance the human race through the use of mutations, began to create new species that were half human half animal. These beings went by the names of centaur, satyr, harpy, mermaid, sphinx, and valkyrie. The new species, much to the scientists surprise, did not abide and follow the feminine energies as did the Danu Talis. These creatures were more aggressive, more selfish, and individually oriented. Their intentions were not to care for the growth of anyone else, but focus all their energy for their own personal benefit. The new species began telling the scientists of a new type of story, a new type of motivation for existance. Fascinated by the creatures point of views, the scientists egos grew as they listened to the control, power, and abundance they could gain by following more individual motivations.

A story has been heard. An idea has been told. Once the new creatures told their story of what could be, it could not be taken back. The idea was there, it lingered and grew within the scientists minds, haunting and taunting them at every turn. They could not unthink it, they could not unhear it. They wanted it.

As the new species began to preach their stories of dominance, self-sustainability, and independance from the collective consciousness, the people of Danu Talis became confused. The spiritual prophets of the Crystal City warned the scientists of the potential consequences of their creations and continuance. The divergence between the technological and spiritual aspects of society began to destroy the harmony between the two balances. The Crystal City began to break, collapsing due to the incongruenty and inequality – the Scientists wanted sovereignty, they wanted control.

Battles, war, anger and destruction. The future of Danu Talis was clear. Wars arose as the Scientists thirsted for power, raging against the Crystal Spiritualists. Their spliced creations against the they raged against the once peaceful power of the crystals. The once cascading crystalline architecture and mesmerizing illuminescent structures were destroyed. The memories of love, happiness, and history of abundance within the crystal’s collective consciousness was destroyed. The feeling of community and unity was eradicated, leaving the surviving citizens unbrearingly alone, with no memories or stories but their own.

Because once a story or idea is heard, it can’t be taken back. It lingers, grows, and changes.

Well, that’s my story! I was quite surprised about how fun it was to take a concept from King and completely create your own story around it. I’ve noticed that I had a simple idea of what I wanted to say when I was telling the story to my brother. It was nothing like what I actually said. My initial story was dry, and almost a replica of King’s version. However, as I began talking I started making connections, inputting my own interests, and making assumptions. Quite a thrill! Thanks.

“Crystal City”. Deviant Art. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. “http://sejbyl.deviantart.com/art/Crystal-City-381791048”.

“Valkyries”. Norse Mythology. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. “http://www.viking-mythology.com/valkyries.php.”

“Centaurs”. Thessalioi. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. “http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/KentauroiThessalioi.html”

Digital Literature and Impact of Technological Advances

For my first blog assignment, I would like to answer question #7, which revolves around the topic of digital literature and technological advances. I found this topic very interesting because of the notion that anyone is able to become the story teller, the myth creator, the tradition maker, the person that helps pass on historical events and memories. Everyone has the ability to document and save any piece of information that they like. We no longer need to obtain a certain cultural or educational status in order to create stories and pass on information, because the technological advances today have provided the ability to story tell right at our fingertips.

Two aspects of digital literature, in particular, might be impacting our literature and story in today’s day and time. Firstly, with the invention of the internet, a large amount of various and unique websites have been developed. The idea that there are social media tools enabling publication by anyone without the need to go through systematic approvals set out by standard publishing companies is profound. The widespread sharing of stories, language, and improved communication has enabled unique perspectives to be heard from all walks of life. Since every story is a little ‘strange’, or even biased, storytelling and preservation of memories doesn’t rely on a single persons encounter. Various points of views of the same story or situation can be passed on and acknowledged by anyone and everyone. The previous notion that story telling and history were simply biased accounts by individuals who wanted their side to be heard more preferably is no longer an issue. Furthermore, cultures are no longer bound to re-create and re-tell their memories by oral methods, literate methods, or even a mixture of both elements. The wide variety of social media tools, such as facebook, blogging, graphic design, movies, and even vlogging give everyone equal opportunity to express their stories. In that case, the reader is also the interpreter as well as the listener. The reader can become the writer and creator as well.  Secondly, the use of hypertext within online articles, tumblr posts, blog posts, or even social networking services allows the reader to discover more than what is just written on the source they are reading. Hypertexts, or hyperlinks, are becoming a tool of independent research for the reader. They have the ability to go deeper into the text, and understand the contexts and intricate backgrounds behind the authors message or story. In this way, the story no longer stops when the author decides to terminate his/her writing. The story is then enabling its own further creation and continuation.

Citations:

“The Impact of Blogging”. The Student Review. Web. 13 Jan. 2014. “http://thestudentreview.co.uk/2011/04/what-is-the-impact-of-blogging/”.

Hello world!

Phoenix

Alright, so here it goes!

If you’re stumbled upon here, hello! This is my second time writing a UBC blog, so hopefully I will get back into the hang of it!  I go by the name of Anna. I am a 5th … (?) year student at UBC. I am a first generation immigrant. My parents decided to leave Ukraine and come to Vancouver, out of all wonderful places, to give me and my younger brother a better quality of life. (Thanks guys!)

My interest lie from all over the place. Somewhere starting at graphic design, psychology, french fries, history, glitter, reddit , and maybe finishing off at my obsession with Spider man. My hobbies include drawing, inking, playing sports, being active, comic books, x-men, dance, and spending lots of time on the computer, internet, and Photoshop.

This is not my first time taking an online course. In fact, I much rather prefer the hands on involvement and responsibility that comes with attending an online course. Sure you don’t have to attend class and you can do assignments in the comfort of your PJ’s. But the level of engagement and self-study that a student does is really a reflection of how the rest of the world works. What you put in is what you get out!

I am very excited to learn more about the impact that the aboriginals had on our Canadian culture, as well as the impact (both negative and positive) that Canadian society has had on them. I am eager to hear an unbiased opinion in the native perspective of our country. I’ve never taken what I have received for granted. Whether it was moving to Canada, or living in one of the top cities in the world. So in that light, I am eager to appreciate and be thankful for the struggles that the nations before us had to endure for us to be where we are today.

Reddit Website. 07 Jan. 2014. Web.  ‹http://www.reddit.com/›.

Suzy Strutner.  Lviv, Ukraine the cutest city you’ve never heard of. Huffington Post, 7 Jan 2014. ‹http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/lviv_n_3906920.html/›.

Adam Hughes. Jean Grey Dark Phoenix. Superpower Wiki. 7 Jan 2014,< http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jean_Grey_Dark_Phoenix.jpg/>.