Feb 10 / Annie Ju

Left vs. Right – Information is Beautiful

There is a website that I frequent because it puts up a lot of interesting information in fun graphs, infographics and pictures. Information is Beautiful posts a wide range of topics from China’s censorship to illegal drugs. The following image is from their “Left vs Right (World)” post, outlining the basic gist of the left-wing and right-wing political ideologies.

There is only so much that you can include in a diagram trying to distinguish the political left from right. This is a generic point to start understanding the main differences between the two sides but we need to keep in mind that there are many degrees of variation on political views (even within the same one). This diagram makes the right-wing way of thinking to be completely cold, calculated and rational, while the left-wing ideas promote more positive views on humanity. While it is true that the right-wing tends to support war, morals and discipline, it should be understood that left-wing can have corruption, discipline and rules.

And what about the people that do not fall strictly into one wing or another? When I was younger and just beginning to learn about political terms and ideas, I was massively confused. What the media taught me was that (I watched a lot of US politics on CNN) you are either left or right. There I stood, utterly confused at how I could possibly believe in personal AND economic freedom supported by a minimal government role in each aspect. For example, on this graph, I agree with the leftist thought of being progressive and supporting personal freedom. However, I also believe in the right wing ideals of non-interference in society, low taxes, and economic freedom.Yet, I do not believe in organized religion and I fully support gay and abortion rights.

What this diagram shows is that many of us are still stuck in a dichotomous way of thinking, when there are eons of possibilities for a political perspective. Left and right are the most basic division in politics but that should not encourage or pressure people to conform to simply one side or another.

One Comment

leave a comment
  1. jefff / Feb 13 2012

I love Information is Beautiful. Stylized infographics hold a special place in my heart for their ability to effectively convey information in appealing and efficient ways.

In response to the point you make, I agree that we seem to have been protected from the possible existence of ambivalence in political views as if it were some sort of secret. It feels a little strange to say that it is for the public’s best interest, but that’s sort of what I’m arguing.

The left – right divide may not so much serve as dichotomous camps that we must choose between, rather they serve as a simplified roadmap to guide the less politically aware public. What will determine where you place yourself will depend on how much weight you give to specific topics. It’s generally accepted that the citizenship will not know about where they stand on each individual issue, so by using this shortcut they can hopefully make an educated guess that will eventually serve them well.