I Am From

I am from Izote

From tropical mountains

And the pacific ocean

I am from lime, sour, zesty. Tangy.

From sand are small rocks,

From Ana and Nelson.

From peppermint and corn.

I am from the comal toasting,

tortilla,

basil,

and eating sushi every Sunday.

Hi! My name is Andrea Quintana, I am a third-year commerce student specializing in Finance. I am originally from El Salvador but currently live off-campus in Abbotsford with the rest of my family. Besides business, I am very interested in politics and everything happening in the world especially the current political climate and COVID situation. I like to keep up with the news and read books that help me develop opinions and perspectives. For fun, I really enjoy playing tennis and travel. Tennis is my favourite sport (I personally believe it is the best sport ever made), and I have been playing since very little. My favourite place to travel to is Europe because of the vast history it has everywhere you go, and its clear influence on Latin American culture. If I had to narrow it down, I would say France, Spain, Italy and are my favourite countries. There’s nothing quite like walking down the Champs-Élysées, visiting La Sagrada Familia, and sitting at the Roman Colosseum. 

I enrolled in LAST 303 because up until now, I had only taken French courses as electives and I wanted to branch out, especially being Latina. It has been a while since I learned about the different indigenous groups of Latin America! I thought LAST 303 would provide me with the opportunity to further gain insights into my culture, my ancestry, tradition, and food.

I am very optimistic about the course and hope to get to know everyone in class!

4 thoughts on “I Am From

1. cynthia lightbody

Hi Andrea, nice to meet you! I love your poem, especially the part about lime. I put lime on everything haha! I also love Italy, I cannot wait to visit again!

2. KhushiMalhotra

Hola Andrea! I am Khushi, looking forward to getting to meet you through class. It is so nice to see someone who keeps up to date with what is happening around the world, allows me to learn more from people like you! I have never been to Europe, but from what you have described, I would love to visit someday! It’s so cool to see that you dominate 3 languages that are so commonly spoken everywhere, hopefully you can teach me some French!

3. Emma Wong

Hi Andrea!

It’s nice to meet you! My name is Emma! Though I have never been to Europe, I have always wanted to go. I’ve always wanted to visit Spain and Italy as well! Having learned Spanish instead of French, Latin American culture has been a part (albeit not very large) of my life since I was 5. As such, I am very interested in Latin American traditions and cultures and I plan on studying further about such topics. Once COVID is over, I’m hoping to visit South Korea (Seoul, Busan, and Jeju) and Spain.