Midterm Submissions

Hello readers!

For my midterm evaluation, I will be submitting the following three entries.

Assignment 1:3 – Question Response
In this post, I had summarized the main points I had found in the final chapter of If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? by J. Edward Chamberlin. Focusing on the significance of storytelling, I recounted the points Chamberlin makes regarding dichotomous cultures and the reasons we may tell stories. I also mention the truth of contradictions and reasons why some contradictions may exist, focusing on the notion that contradictions within stories are simply two sides of the same coin.

Assignment 1:5 – Stories
The origin of evil was the topic of this post, and it was instructed that we create our own stories based on King’s story on the origin of evil. In this story, we follow a tribe of storytellers, focusing on Leema, a young boy who ascribed to be the most unique storyteller among the tribe-members. However, in his pursuit for the best story, he had found one filled with horror and despair, changing the tribe forever. In my analysis, I had focused on the troubles I encountered while writing, rewriting, performing, and re-performing the story, emphasizing the problem of Western influence in regard to how I tell my story.

Assignment 2:4 – The Truth Behind Dichotomies
King is a writer who creates many lenses for us to see through, and that includes the dichotomous society that we live in. In the story of “The Earth Diver”, King focuses on the presence of dichotomy within the culture of stories and urges us to see through those dichotomies as different tellings of the same story. However, he also outlines the presence of dichotomy in particular to the Diver story and “Genesis,” emphasizing the tones of each. In my analysis, I highlight that he may be contradicting himself because he wishes to explore the reasons behind Western and First Nations stories and how they may differ. I also briefly mention that King may refer to these dichotomies as a means to highlight the parallels between stories rather than separate the cultures.

2 thoughts on “Midterm Submissions

1. Hi Aran,

I really like your blog posts and share many of the points which you’ve included in your discussions. As we are approaching the deadline to find partners for our group research projects, I’m wondering if you have already found a group. If not, I would be happy to work together with you, if you are interested.

I have some experience of working on the group projects in the course of online studies, which I have enjoyed very much. I must admit, that writing is rather a challenge for me, but I’m getting more confident with every course and assignment I’ve completed. As any of us, I’m pretty busy with my studies and work, but meeting the deadlines for course assignments is certainly my priority. I work part time, and, similarly to you, I go to one of the high schools once a week to earn volunteer hours for my potential BED application :). If we work together, we can discuss the area of the research for this course later on, once the group is formed (4 members); I’m flexible about it and oriented on the opinion of the group.

I’m looking forward to your feedback. In case, if you prefer to respond via e-mail, here it is: joanne.kutlimetova@gmail.com.

Joanne

• Hi Joanne!
      Thank you very much for reaching out first and thank you for liking my blog thus far! I have not found a group yet and I would love to form a group for the final group project.

Personally, I find myself struggling with compiling research, requiring a lot more time with gathering the components I require for the writing itself. Thus, I feel that our unique talents compliment each other well! I look forward to working with you soon.

Thank you
      Cheers!

Aran