Text to Speech Task #3

Below is the story I wanted to share and I used the speech to text option on my Samsung voice recorder to convert my oral storytelling to a written format. The story below unfortunately does not make much sense when converted to text which I will discuss further after my speech to text story.

Speech to Text Story

Hey everyone so in thinking of a story to tell you all with the weather being so beautiful I thought I would talk about this time last year when I went horseback riding for the 1st time it’s something that had always been on my bucket list of something that I wanted to do and for my birthday last year my fiance decided take me horseback riding so is extremely excited although I am afraid of heights so I didn’t take into consideration ahead of time how large these horses worse Ross kind of intimidating to be up so high of he was a great experience however there were a couple bumps in the road has so I went to this farm and right to ride around the trails around the farm however unfortunately there were someone trespassing on a motorbike and although their resigns all across the trails not to trespass in not have motorbikes because it scares the horses this person didn’t listen and so I can’t and I were at the back on her horses on a very nice Lake it was create experience the 1st like half an hour so is getting the hang of it was beautiful day and then this motor pictures to come in my horse is not happy so the horse starts to freak out pin starts getting really shaky starts like speeding away some turn I’ll hold the horse back in again is like with him the 1st 20 minutes to have power of learning how to write a horrors some training Lake hold it back from like running too far finally I caught the horses stop and and person who is running the farm came in like charge to relax the horrors and OK 1st on the motorbike one away horse still I could cut a tallow is still she can out but OK I was still shaken up to you to be honest but we kept going And then again KI got back into the groove of it kept going and then may be 15 minutes later the purse on the motorbike decided to come back and my horse didn’t take off this time which was great for like deathly tried to find her with a noise was who kept like turning in circles and circles and like going up on its hind legs and again I held on for dear life try not to fall off and then there ever on the ceiling like holantide I like him then again the owner came trying to calm the horse down with of course was not coming down so after a few minutes finally the owner was able to get the horse to calm down and run away so it was definitely an interesting experience II think you would have been much more enjoyable had there not been someone cruising along on their motorbike hung causing the horse to be scared by it was a great experience and Clyde it’s something I got to do on my bucket list despite what happened I do wanna go again but I think how he deftly go in a more secluded area just make sure that no Mrs. Passing and just really learn the ropes huz horseback riding and hum Yeah that is my story

My Reflection

This exercise has truly highlighted for me how a story can be completely different when it is converted from an oral to written format. There are several spelling and grammatical errors which make the story hard to understand. There are many words that were not properly captured and this text is void of any punctuation including periods to show the end of one of my thoughts and the beginning of another. I find this the most difficult aspect as I am used to periods when reading so when I had to read back what was translated from my oral storytelling, I found it really hard to follow. The most common mistakes present in the text is the lack of punctuation and words that were translated as other words that sound similar, but were not the actual words I was using to illustrate my story. It is also interesting how when I used numbers it translated them numerically instead of using the written word such as 15 minutes instead of fifteen minutes. When telling this story orally I am able to change my rate of speech and alter my pitch for dramatic effect which can completely change the tone of the message. The humorous parts of the story are absent because I placed more emphasis on my pitch and tone when telling this story orally than I did on selecting the words I was using.

I do think that if I had scripted the story, the technology I was using would have still translated the wrong words into the text version. However, if I had scripted the story, I would have selected words that better illustrate the emotions I was naturally expressing through my tone, pitch, and speed when telling this story orally. Boroditsky (2011) highlighted how studies have shown that changing how people talk changes how they think. If I change how I talk about this story becoming concerned with how the speech to text will be written, does this change how I think about my story?

I love to read and I strongly believe writers are able to describe situations and characters in detail to bring the story to life, but I think this takes a lot of talent. Writers have to wisely select the words and style of writing used to describe every person and situation to make the story comprehensible. I believe a written story requires much more time to create than an oral story. Take for instance, a political speech. It is more challenging to try to create a charismatic and passionate speech in text than it would for a politician to stand up and deliver a moving speech where the passion and charisma is obvious in their tone and voice. Oral storytelling drastically differs from written storytelling as the speaker’s emotion is more evident and there is less chance of misunderstanding the meaning of a story. For example, a speaker could make a sarcastic comment which is apparent by the tone of their voice and a possible chuckle at the end of their comment, but in written storytelling, if this exact same comment is written the same way it was told orally, the comment may be taken as truth.

Written storytelling is much more impersonal and I doubt my above story was able to provide my classmates a glimpse of my personality as the story and content is quite flat when transferred from an oral to written format. This is an important reminder I need to keep in mind as I use captioning for my videos. For those that cannot hear me, and rely on the written text, the message they receive may be quite different.

Boroditsky, L. (2011). How language shapes thoughtLinks to an external site.. Scientific American, 304(2), 62-65.

2 thoughts on “Text to Speech Task #3

1. Nice work Allison,
    Best rewrite to your story: ” ..learning how to write a horrors.”
    This was a great story to tell because it leaves the reader wanting to understand and reading through the textual errors for insight. While there is little joy in hearing about a lovely ride through the forest, when you add a madman on a motorbike and an excited horse, everyone wants to hear more.

2. Yes, the rewriting really emphasizes the changes that occur from medium to medium . . . but, who cares? I want to come on that lovely ride through the forest . . . and I agree with you about written story telling simply not cutting it; I’m trying to master a few poems, etc., by memory for my students . . . I now understand why archtypes were so popular in ancient stories . . . Megs Keating