Task #7 Mode-bending

Dobson and Willinsky (2009) outline how digital literacy is leading to an increase in the amount as well as range of information we can access. I wanted to show that in changing how I presented the information from image and written text, to a video and auditory explanation, that the meaning changes both due to the redesign but also due to the affordances from digital technology. Digital technology offers a range of media and multiple modes of representation (Dobson & Willinsky, 2009), but the quick ability to share this information also changes the meaning. What the objects in my bag meant to me seven weeks ago has rapidly changed just as technology use and workplaces have changed with the pandemic. The New London Group (1996) express how changes in the workplace has created a new work language, and I believe this is still true today. More discussions are occurring online and through screen sharing to help the receiver visualize what the sender is referring to. I chose to show the items from my bag while narrating what they currently mean to me as this has become a common way for me to communicate with my colleagues since the pandemic began.

Dobson, T. M., & Willinsky, J. (2009). Digital literacy. (pp. 286-312) Cambridge University Press.

The New London Group.  (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. (Links to an external site.)  Harvard Educational Review66(1), 60-92.