Task #6 An Emoji Story

Below is the title of the show I am watching, followed by a summary of the plot.

When planning both the title and summary I relied more on ideas rather than syllables or words to illustrate the story. I started with the title to see if it was feasible. I use a limited amount of emojis both in my personal life when texting as well as at work through our instant messenger so I wasn’t sure what I would be able to create in terms of a title and summary. I prefer to use words when communicating online to others and rely more on emojis to clarify or make my tone and intentions more apparent. For instance, over text if I was joking my words may not make it clear enough that I am only joking or possibly being sarcastic, but an emoji with a winking face makes me more comfortable sending the message as I don’t have to worry as much about the message being misinterpreted. The other situation where I use emojis instead of words is if I am in a rush and I just need to show that I am okay with something then I will send the thumbs up emoji. Therefore, I use emojis to either reinforce what I am saying with written words, or I use it as a replacement for one or two words but not to replace full sentences.

Due to my limited use of emojis, when I first read this assignment, I was close to deciding not to attempt the assignment. I did select this show based on how easy it would be to illustrate with emojis as the summary of the episode is very simple. However, even when I look at it, I do realize it would be a stretch for someone to guess what I am referring to. I think I would first have to explain what show I am referring to and then moving forward in discussing the show with a friend I could continue using these emojis, however I do think it is much simpler to just type out the title of the show.

I found it really takes a different head space to create a language with emojis but it actually became fun.  I do understand Bolter’s (2001) point that images can break free from words and tell their own stories. Similar to trying to translate one language to another, the exact wording may not be possible with the emojis and therefore a new story is created out of the images. While I do not foresee myself ever using emojis to completely replace sentences or stories, it is helpful to use them to reiterate what I am saying and I can see how people would find it entertaining to use emojis as a way to demonstrate their creative side coming up codes for the receiver to try to crack.

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. doi:10.4324/9781410600110

2 thoughts on “Task #6 An Emoji Story

1. Interesting to say “create a language” with emojis and not translate . . . which is what it was for me.

I thought it was hilarious to compare Bolter’s emoticons to today’s emojis . . . I remember using the emoticons and feeling quite modern and risque to do so . . . look at us now.

2. Hi Allison,

I don’t think I know the show you are watching, but will attempt the plot: Family moves to Canada and works at a fast food restaurant (or eats fast food?). They cook good food together and live happily ever after – maybe they open a restaurant? Am I even close?

I also like your reference to creating a language and translating, that is a good description of the task. It is very difficult when the readers don’t have a context for your language, which as you suggest, could be more clear if you could first explain your reference in order to provide context.