Assignment 2:3 What We Share About Home

Hi everyone!

I’ve started this assignment by gathering bullet point notes on the core values from each of the 6 stories I read.

Then, I will find the common thread through them all and comment on it!

1. Sarah Afful:

“Dressed By My Mother”

• Home is boring, must go out and look for adventure.
  • Main character wants more out of life.
  • Home is where loved ones are.

2.   Nargiza Ailmova:

“Home: A Short Story”

• Home is where family is all together.
  • Home is familial love and friendship.
  • Home is family traditions.

3.  Brenda Druhall:

“A Short Story About Home”

• Home is with the people around you.
  • Home is found in the bonds of friendship.
  • Community is home.

4.  Jade Greer:

“Stories, People and Nature: What Home Means To Me”

• Home is the stories that make up our lives.
  • Home is friendship.
  • Home is family.

5.  Eva Dvorak:

“A Story Of Home”

• Home is with family.
  • Home is in family traditions.
  • Home is more than a place.

6.  Emily Homuth:

“Home”

• Home is in moments of love and laughter.
  • Home is with the people you love most.
  • Home is a feeling.

Commentary:

In all of these, there is common thread: home is where they feel loved, with family and friends. It is not a feeling attached specifically to a place, but is rather one that is created through a sense of togetherness and community. That way, home can be made and found just about anywhere.

I most definitely have to agree with this, as I have stumbled across a feeling of home many places in this world. I’ve felt at home on a moving train as well, even without it being attached to any place in particular. On that train ride I made a group of friends and we spent the long 4 day journey from Vancouver to Toronto playing board & card games, writing and shooting a short film, and sharing meals together while remarking on the ever changing view outside the train.

In each of the stories above I was happy to read that others felt this way too, as home itself can be so subjective and conditional. In common conversations home is often referred to as a place, which is kind of weird to me. It’s just a name for a place we live. Thankfully, it is so much more than that as no place is forever. The people we live aren’t forever either, but our memories of them can be.

This assignment was my favourite so far and an absolute joy to partake in!

Cheers,

Arianne

Works Cited:

Afful, Sarah. “Dressed by My Mother.” Sarahafful, 28 Jan. 2020, blogs.ubc.ca/afful/2020/01/28/dressed-by-my-mother/.

Alimova, Nargiza. “Home: A Short Story.” Engl 372 Oh Canada, 28 Jan. 2020, blogs.ubc.ca/nargizaalimova/2020/01/28/assignment-2-2/.
Druhall, Brenda. “A Short Story About Home.” English 372, 29 Jan. 2020, blogs.ubc.ca/brendadruhall/2020/01/29/22-a-short-story-about-home/.
Dvorak, Eva. “A Story of Home.” Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land, 28 Jan. 2020, blogs.ubc.ca/evadvorak/2020/01/28/22-a-story-of-home/.
Greer, Jade. “Stories, People, and Nature: What Home Means To Me.” Canadian Literary Genres, 29 Jan. 2020, blogs.ubc.ca/jadegreer/2020/01/29/assignment-2-2/.
“Heart Art Dd – Lessons – Tes Teach.” Tes Teach with Blendspace, www.tes.com/lessons/La8jny3rcklOQA/heart-art-dd.

Homuth, Emily. “Home.” Oh Canada ENGL 372 RSS, blogs.ubc.ca/ehomuth/2020/01/27/assignment-22-home/.