Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan

After the class discussion on Thursday talking about the first page of Nada for most of the class I was curious to fully analyze the first page of Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan. I noticed how the main character, Cécile started off by “I have known boredom, regret, and occasionally remorse, but never sorrow” (Pg. 5). Looking back at that statement, I can recognize that the author may have been trying to foreshadow the events within the book.

The first introduction of Anne reminded me of the movie The Parent Trap. I think it’s due to the similarities that the mother was out of the picture and the dad’s latest girlfriend joined the trip away. Also noticed a similarity that both had schemes to get the couple the protagonist wanted together.

It was also clear how Anne saw herself as a mother figure for Cécile. An example that stood out was “[t]o look all decent you ought to put on six pounds. Your checks are hollow and every rib shows. Do go in and get yourself some bread and butter!” (pg. 22). She wasn’t the kindest mother figure but she made had her moments to ensure her dominance within the family’s dynamic.

I really enjoyed this book as the comparison between Anne and Elsa kept me engaged throughout the first part. I was hooked on the detail of appearances between these two as it captured what lured Cécile’s father closer to Anne. It was demonstrated through the impact of the sun on the two character’s skin. Elsa had a fair complexion with red hair and was covered in bright red sunburns. While Anne showed up with a flawless complexion and had an even tan. This kept me intrigued to continue reading even though I had a feeling once Anne came to the cabin of her intentions and once she said “Elsa Mackenbourg? He brought Elsa Mackenbourg here?” (pg. 15). I hope that Cécile’s father’s selfish traits were due to losing his wife as he continuously brings a new mistress home in front of his child. He was careless and oblivious with his actions towards others like abandoning Elsa and also to Cécile about marrying Anne. However, it made me realize a similarity between him and Cécile as Cécile manipulated her way to break apart her father and Anne without considering the consequences of her actions upon others either.

A question I pose to my classmates is, if you were to reread the beginning would there be any other clues now that you know the ending?

4 Replies to “Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan”

1. Yes! Arielle – funny enough I was also reminiscing about The Parent Trap as I read Sagan, and maybe this dates me as it was released a few years prior, but also It Takes Two.

And, I like how you took the reading strategy from last class and applied it to your own reading here, as well as to your great question (which I’ve added to our list of possible in-class discussion topics!)

2. Hi Arielle! I love your question because the ending (and how the characters reacted to it) really took me by surprise. I think the whole sentiment of Célie wanting to “conquer” Anne would take on a whole different meaning. Rather than thinking of the conflict as just a teen dealing with emotions and a new family dynamic, it takes a darker turn. I think I would have a lot less sympathy for Célie at the beginning if I knew the ending…

3. Hi!
    I can’t think of any other clues that forshadowed the ending but that sentence definitely for-shadowed her character! I feel like Cecile is one to avoid any emotions she does not want to feel, and that was evident throughout the novel with her emotional back and forths and the dichotomy of her feelings towards Anne. Having been old enough, she had to have encountered sorrow, but it is clear that she tends to avoid such emotions as they make her uncomfortable!

4. Hi Arielle! I think that your analysis is incredibly interesting and your question as well. For me I believe that if we knew the ending then reading the book would be much more interesting as we know what would occur. For me, I sometimes enjoy reading the ending so that I know in which direction a story is headed. I believe that Cecile in the story was aiming to protect her father, though not fully understanding that interfering with someone’s life affects them drastically.

– Muskan Shukla