Aug 5 / Amy Ashmore

The Top 5

“VinceWhat’s the name of your label?
Rob: Top Five Records.”

If you’ve seen the movie or read the book High Fidelity, you’ll know that one of the ongoing narrative elements is the use of Top 5 lists. This week in LIBR 559M, we were asked to contribute our top 5 uses of social media in libraries to a collaborative list which we created. But I love making lists (insert librarian joke here), so since this week’s module is about creation, I’ve created a few more “Top 5” library-related lists of my own.

Top 5 Videos:

1. No Hope (Security Man…ual series from VPL)
  2. Roving Librarians
  3. Study Like a Scholar, Scholar (BYU)
  4. Librarians Do Gaga (UW)
  5. What is A Public Library

Top 5 Blogs:

1. LISNews
  2. Librarian.net
  3. Blogging for a Good Book
  4. What I Learned Today
  5. Awful Library Books

Top 5 Uses of Social Media for Teens:

1. Teen RC
  2. Darien Library (specifically the TeenCast and Made sections)
  3. Allen County Public Library (especially Bella’s Book Club)
  4. My Own Cafe – Southeastern Massachusetts Library System
  5. Seattle Public Library (great Push to Talk Blog and podcasts)

I should note that these are largely based on things I read or knew about already – if you have other ideas to contribute or have your own “top 5” I’d love to hear it!

3 Comments

leave a comment
  1. Maggie Hodge Kwan / Aug 5 2010

Nice list, Amy. My favorite would definitely have to be Awful Library books – I always get a laugh out of it! (Well, with the exception of the children’s book about talking to strangers… that was just scary.) I am currently weeding the Lending Libraries in the school-age YMCA child care centers and am amazed at what I’m finding: lots of donated books from the ’70s, beige covers, bizarre illustrations. Basically, nothing a kid/tween today would want to read. I’d love to take some pictures and send them in, but I’m a bit too busy. So for now, I’ll just lurk! Anyway, thanks for including such a humorous blog.

2. Sumanjit Manhas / Aug 6 2010

Great lists Amy! I had fun looking through your choices. I particularly liked the Top 5 Blog list. I’m always looking for blogs to follow and a good book to read so “Blogging for a Good Book” was a good choice. Thanks for sharing!

3. Heidi / Aug 8 2010

Amy,

As I know you secretly want your life to be a musical (well, maybe not so secretly. You DID do a presentation about this fact in our Instruction class last semester…) I thought you would appreciate this library video, if you haven’t seen it already. I have a feeling you might have to replace it with one of your others but it is AMAZING! Three words: Library. Dance. Whitney Houston. (Okay, that was four).

DANCE This Flash Mob @Seattle Public Library from Ian Lucero on Vimeo.

This video is a revelation to me. Not only does it include my two favorite things: dance and libraries. But it also takes place in my hometown. And I also performed in a jazz dance piece to this song in fifth grade. I love this video so much, I’m actually livid with jealousy that I didn’t get to participate in the event.