Cover video reflection – Joel Yap

The process by which we created our cover video project provided an experience that I thought allowed us to envision what it would be like to actually create a k-pop music video. At the beginning of this class, I had very little knowledge about k-pop, let alone the huge production behind the music videos that this industry produces. As such, the only few k-pop artists I had been exposed to were those who had made an impact overseas, like Psy.

A big concern of mine before we had even chosen which video we were going to cover was my lack of dancing talent. It was around this time that it became very apparent to me how talented every k-pop performer is; whether that be in singing or in dancing. This lead to our group choosing a less dance-intensive song, which everybody in our group was somewhat familiar with.

In making our video, we analyzed the music video and decided which scenes we could replicate, and others that would be too difficult. In Psy’s Hangover, most of the scenes are not too graphic intensive, and are not reliant on too many props; which we considered to be a good thing. One of the scenes features Psy surrounded by hundreds of soju bombs; while we considered recreating this, we quickly realized that the difficulty of setting it up and getting the perfect take would prove too difficult and time consuming.

Overall, making this cover video brought to light how difficult it actual is to produce a real music video. Working with other group members who had a more consolidated knowledge of k-pop also added to the experience.

Joel Yap