Cover Video Reflection

In the course of making this cover video, we as a group planned accordingly to distribute work equally by realizing everyone’s strengths and weaknesses in the first meeting. Part of the group was more opened to work behind the scenes on the editing and filming side of the production, whereas group members like me who recognized editing as a flaw and decided to be in front of the camera more frequently. Apart from that, group members who weren’t involved in the editing process made other contributions to the group such as organizing meeting times, purchasing items for the shoot, and planning the overall storyline of the cover video (how to make it authentic while remaining Korean feel).

I learned a lot throughout the process of making the Hangover cover video. Because Psy’s collaboration with Snoop Dogg was not their best vocal performance in the realm of K-pop, we were drawn by the visual aspect of the music video and its creativity with cartoons. With limited filming resource and knowledge, the group had to replace the graphic scenes of the music video with authentic clips of ourselves performing and singing to the song. For my part, I had to cover Psy’s first two minutes of the video. As the person who was being filmed, I never knew the importance of lighting and audio perception for the camera. Picking a setting with adequate lighting and the low surrounding noise was the best combination for the filming process.

It is possible to assume a fan of k-pop like us would undergo a similar process to produce a cover video for their favorite idol, they would have to have to organize personnel similar to us for maximum productivity and efficiency. I’m glad to say we’ve managed to do that!

• Wesley Wong