The Team

Adam Sullivan

Hello, my name is Adam Sullivan. I am from Thornhill, Ontario. I completed my Honours Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of Western Ontario in 2014. My honors thesis focused on the variable response of thermotolerance in Scots pine to simulated future climate conditions. Through my research, I became familiar with the importance of the boreal forest biome in regulating atmospheric CO2 levels, and how deforestation can affect this balance. This, along with being outdoors alot for leisure, field work, and wilderness excursions motivated me to get into forestry so I may aid in the environmentally responsible harvesting of timber.

Adam

Ziyan (David) Zhong

Hello everyone, my name is Ziyan (David) Zhong. I grew up in Changzhou which is a small but a very beautiful and lively city in Eastern China. I developed a strong passion for natural science since I was a child by watching ants and earthworms in the garden. I am passionate for Geography as well. I transferred to the University of British Columbia from Nanjing Forestry University in 2011 and I got my Bachelor of Science in Forestry May 2014. In my three years at UBC, I learnt many knowledge in terms of forest management in BC. I volunteered in forest field work around Vancouver such as UBC farm, Pacific Regional Park and so on. I also cultivated a strong interest in GIS application in forestry. I am currently involved in a part of a big GIS project at UBC this summer. In my spare time, I love to play soccer and tennis best. I also enjoy outdoor, hiking and travelling.

Davidz

Diego Sanchez

My entire life has been connected to the natural world in many different ways. Very early, during my childhood, I developed a passion for entomology, herpetology and bird watching. Consequently, I finally decided that I wanted to become a biologist. I strongly believe in adaptation and my professional route has taken me to work as a field biologist or a botanical field guide, but also as a product manager. I’ve lived in Vancouver for several years, but it was during a previous vacation trip to BC when I fell in love with this part of the world and the magnificent forests in which we are immersed now. In fact, I spend most of my spare time in the mountains. Climbing, hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, mountain biking.

jcp-010-512-1

Juhan Lin

Hello everyone, my name is Juhan Lin. I was born in Fuzhou, a coastal city located in south-east part of China. My interests in natural science started when I was a child. I was admitted to Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University (FAFU) in the year of 2010 and subsequently transferred to FRM program at the University of British Columbia (UBC) after completing my first and second year university courses in China. My interest in forestry came as no surprise considering that my home province Fujian which has the largest forest coverage area in China. At present, I believe that the significant knowledge I have gained from my undergraduate forestry curricula, has led me to peruse further advanced studies, and to become a graduate student in the Master of Sustainable Forest Management program.

Juhan

Jonathan Awineboma Abagre

Hello, my name is Jonathan Awineboma Abagre from Ghana, West Africa. I completed my under graduate degree programme in Natural Resource Management (minor in Sivilculture and Forest Management) at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Ghana in 2012. While in school, I had two intensive field work internships with Forestry Commission of Ghana and AngloGold Ashanti (mining company) both in Ghana. During my fieldwork, I gained experience in water quality analysis, tissue analysis, land survey, mapping and plantation development. For the past two years since the completion of my undergraduate program, I have been working with Tropenbos International Ghana as a project assistant under the EU funded Chainsaw Milling Project in Ghana. As a project assistant, I coordinate most of the projects’ field activities and conduct alternative livelihood training for displaced illegal chainsaw operators. I like playing basketball, swimming and admiring nature in my free time. I am always looking forward to discovering new things and taking up adventurous activities.

Jonathan