Sam Zattera in a Short Playlist

What follows is a playlist that I have chosen as an autobiographical representation of my own life. It is not a list of my favorite songs, nor is an attempt to appear cultured in various genres of music. Quite simply, it is a chronicle of the key songs that I have listened to as I’ve gotten older. Each song I have chosen carries special meaning to me. In some cases, the song itself has had an effect on my life, in most, however, it is the memories associated with the song that make it so important. The earliest songs I remember from my childhood are on top. As you go further down in the list you approach modern day. I have chosen not to include more than one song from each artist. As memory is quite unreliable, the timeline of these songs is of course inaccurate, but I have organized them from oldest to newest (to me) to the best of my ability.

I chose to create a playlist because I feel that it is the best way I can give you a feel for who I am without writing a more substantial piece of Autobiography. My music taste has changed with me over time, and it’s that progression that I am most interested in conveying to you. One thing to note about this playlist is that I pay closer attention to the lyrics than the beat in most cases, which is true for some of you and not others. That being said, a few of these songs have very few, if any, lyrics.  I have chosen to keep the list short for the sake of anyone wishing to listen to all of it. Seeing as you likely will have neither the time nor the inclination to do that, however, I would recommend listening to the first and the last, and perhaps even that you pick one of the others at random. I would love to know how many of these you had heard of before now, as well as if any surprised you!

(song- Artist)

Silver Thunderbird- Marc Cohn

Faithfully- Journey

2112- Rush

Headstrong- Trapt

Her Diamonds- Rob Thomas

A Horse With No Name- America

In Color- Jamey Johnson

Times- Tenth Avenue North

Keep Your Eyes Open- Needtobreathe

How He Loves Us- John Mark McMillian

Animus Vox- Glitch Mob

Your Hand in Mine- Explosions in the Sky

The Men That Drive Me Places- Ben Rector

Notes:

• Only after writing this have I realized that both the first and last songs have to do with automobiles.
  • Ben rector and Needtobreathe are currently my two favorite artists.
  • Explosions in the Sky makes excellent music to study to.

2 thoughts on “Sam Zattera in a Short Playlist

1. Gurneet (Neetu) Dha

I enjoyed reading your blog Sam Zettera and also listening to some of songs in the playlist that you shared. I know a lot of the bands and singers that you have in your playlist, but I don’t actually know any of the songs in your playlist. I know Marc Cohn from his song “Walking in Memphis,” Rob Thomas from his song “little wonders,” Tenth Avenue North from their song “worn” and a few others. Listening to the songs in your playlist reminded me of these songs. I have not listened to them in a long time but hearing them again brings back memories and the emotions I felt when listening to these songs. It also reminds of the mental space I was in when these songs were still in my playlist. Like you said, “it is the memories associated with the song that make it so important.”

2. Gurneet (Neetu) Dha

Like you I am also one of those people who pays more attention to the lyrics than the melody. Since it seems we have similar tastes in music I thought I would also tell you some of the bands and artists I listen to.

A Silent Film
    Jack’s Mannequin
    Kings of Conveience
    Thriving Ivory (this one especially)
    Andrew Belle
    Civil Twilight
    Hayden Calnin