Getting to Know You (and me! and blogs)

Hello ASTU G01!

Welcome to our class blog, the hub for some of our readings and discussions, and the landing page for the individual research blogs that you will be creating over our two semesters. Pro tip: This week would be a good time for you to set up your own blog (click the links to see how you do that). You’ll be blogging on issues, ideas, and examples related to our course topic of “Soft Weapons: The Global and Local Work of Life Narratives.”

I’m looking forward to meeting all of you on Thursday. Before then, please post a comment on this post to say hello and tell us something about yourself. (What’s one interesting thing you’d like us to know about you?) Let me tell you a bit about me: I teach in the English department as well as CAP, and I specialize in auto/biography studies, particularly digital life narratives; more recently, I’ve started thinking about the convergence of digital and archival lives. Right now I’m co-editing a special issue of the journal a/b: Auto/Biography Studies that focuses on “Teaching Lives,” with my colleague Kate Douglas from Flinders University. I’m also Chair of First-Year Programs in Arts, and a Leo. I have two sons who are starting grades 1 & 3. One of my “lame claims to fame”: I got picked out of the audience to participate in one of the acts at a circus sideshow. (But that was a long time ago.)

This week you might have to do 2 things that many students find intimidating: write an email to a teaching assistant or instructor or – worse! – go to one-on-one office hours. If you’re feeling nervous about those things, help is here! This post gives you a good template to follow in writing a winning email to a professor. (Get yourself a UBC email address, too.) Check out this video if your feeling nervous about the idea of going to see your instructors in office hours. (You too should get “OH”!) Remember you can make an appointment with me using this link (or email me).

I hope your first days at UBC are excellent.

See you on Thursday,

Laurie

25 thoughts on “Getting to Know You (and me! and blogs)

1. Hello, I am Gurneet Dha, but I prefer to be called by my nickname Neetu. Some things about me are I like to draw and when I do it is always my hand moving on its own. I always end up drawing whatever is in my subconscious and sometimes I can identify what sorrow I have released onto the page (what I draw is mostly all my sorrow and coming out and).

2. Hi my name is Elena and I live in Richmond, so I am commuting to school. I enjoy playing different sports mostly soccer. My team recently went to Hawaii and I hope to go back there because I love to travel.

3. Hello my name is Natascha and I am half German, half Chinese. I decided to come to UBC because I love the nature and after living in both Munich and Hong Kong I thought it would be a great new adventure to move to a new city. I enjoy dancing and playing the piano, in addition to being a huge foodie. I look forward to meeting everyone.

4. Hello everyone, my name is Paige and I’m from Vancouver! Outside of school i’m into a variety of things such as sports (soccer/swimming), travelling, photography and the foodie culture in Vancouver. I will be commuting to school so I will be apart of the Arbutus Collegia! If anyone here is as well don’t be afraid to say hi 🙂 See you all Thursday

5. Hi! My name is Karyn and I’m from Indonesia. I’m really excited to seek out the exciting things that the school has to offer! I’m also a huge foodie and am willing to try new places to eat. See you guys on Thursday! 🙂

6. Hey guys! I’m Nicole and I’m from Surrey (near Vancouver… kind of) but I live on residence. I like meeting new people, I find the rain peaceful, and I can eat pasta for all 3 meals of the day (I’ve done it many times before). I’m not sure about everyone else but I’m excited for university because I finally have a year with no math class

7. Hello! My name is Eva and I am from California (USA) and I am very excited to start my University career with all of you! My interesting fact is that I have three citizenships (USA, Canada, and Spain).

8. Hello, My name is Alex and I am from Jamaica. I spent the last 6 years in Jakarta, Indonesia and the summer in East Africa as my family has just moved to the region (Rwanda to be specific). I am also a pescatarian, it is like a vegetarian but I also eat seafood.

9. Hi there!
    My name is Maya and I am an avid visitor of the Vancouver Aquarium. The jellyfish exhibit will always have my heart because they glow in the dark! Here at UBC I feel like a fish in a shark tank. It’s pretty scary, but I look forward to meeting everyone on Thursday!
    Thank you!

10. Hello! My name is Gabriela Santana Ufret and I come from Seattle, WA. My goal is to visit every continent by the time I turn 25 and to have at least one unforgettable meal in each of these continents. Thanks!

11. Hey there!
    My name is Sam and I’m pumped to be a part of CAP and the UBC community as a whole! I hail from the United States, specifically Minnesota. No, “hail” is not a commonly used term where I’m from, I simply enjoy it. I have a twin and three other siblings, I’m allergic to peanuts, and I enjoy commas (even those that hail from Oxford). I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

12. Hi everyone!

My name is Alex Chow and I’m from the sunny island of Singapore! In my spare time I enjoy running, hiking, and the outdoors in general. I have recently completed my two year mandatory military service in my country and I am so excited and happy to be starting school again. I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you in ASTU 100!

13. Hi! My name is Anna and I am from North Vancouver. I am excited to be starting school after spending the summer on a small Gulf Island called Thetis. There I worked at my grandparents’ resort hosting weddings and summer guests. In my spare time I enjoy hiking, cheerleading, and running. I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

14. Hello everyone! My name is Gurveer and I am from Surrey, British Columbia. I love autumn, chocolate, thick sweaters, raindrops, knickknacks, and clouds. I am terrified of spiders and heights, and I cannot swim to save my life. I can be pretty quiet and shy, but I am excited to make as many friends as possible and to read as many books as possible in ASTU 100.

15. Hi my name is Maddie. I am from Olympia Washington (thats in Washington state not DC). I am really excited to be starting fresh at UBC! somethings about me is that I love to read, sing, and travel. I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you in the CAP program!

16. Hi everyone!

My name is Merial and I’m from Burnaby. I enjoy writing and playing music – specifically playing the guitar and singing. I took a gap year last year to work and travel, and now I hope I’m ready to get back into the school groove!

See you all tomorrow!

17. Hi everyone!

My name is Kwezi and I’m half Ugandan and half Tanzanian. I lived in China for more than half my life and absolutely love Chinese food! I enjoy travelling and playing the ukulele. I’m really looking forward to getting to know and learn from you all in ASTU 100!

18. Hi everyone,

My name is Riva and I’m from North Vancouver. I love horse ridding and do it as a sport, I also love all kinds of food and sushi is my favorite.

19. Hey Everyone!

My name is Andrew and I’m kind of from Victoria! I’ve spent most of my life as an expat kid living in several countries around the world. I moved to Victoria several years ago and took a few years off of school to do some different things. I’m excited to be back at my studies in such a great place. Looking forward to this year with you all!

20. Hey everyone!

My name is Selena and I’m from Surrey, BC. I live here on campus now and I am absolutely loving this first week. I’m super excited to engage in exciting group conversations with all of you in this small class! Something sort of interesting about me is that I am half Chinese, a quarter Austrian and a quarter Ukrainian. I love British Columbia because of the endless opportunities there are for hiking, camping and exploring nature. Also, I sort of have an addiction to sushi so if you ever need a sushi buddy, come say hi and I’ll always be more than happy to go with you! 🙂

21. Hey guys sorry this is late! I am Natasha (you can call me nat if you like) and I am half English and half Indonesian. I was born in Malaysia then moved to Singapore, I spent most of my life and studies in Singapore before moving to Hong Kong and completing my last 2 years of high school studying the IB diploma. Now I live here, in Vancouver with the rest of you guys! I love traveling and spending time in the sun and the beach so im excited but at the same time nervous about the few months ahead in rainy cold Vancouver 🙂 Like the most of you I also enjoy my food, already missing food back home but especially a nice home cooked meal by my mum. I am excited to get to know everyone and I hope I make some good friends in this group as we have the whole year together!

22. Hi all, my name is Shuyao, but call me Yaoyao. I was born in China but moved to the US at age two. I am yet another foodie, but I’ve only tried spots in California, New York, and Chinese cities, so I’m pumped to see what the Vancouver scene is all about. Some of my favorite things include biking, Game of Thrones, shooting film, music, and learning about other cultures. Hoping for a spectacular year in this class!

23. Hi, I’m Victor. I would best describe my life as a constant battle between alcohol and living a healthy lifestyle. I mean, you cant have both.

24. Hello! My name is Sam (one of two in the class) and I’m from Eugene, Oregon, USA. I spent eight weeks this past summer working as a wilderness backpacking camp counselor in the Trinity Alps Wilderness in Northern California. I also play guitar and love listening to and playing 60’s and 70’s rock, blues, and soul, as well as some folk, alt rock, and jazz. I’m looking forward to meeting people to jam with here at UBC and to getting to know Vancouver real well!