Task 6: An Emoji Story

Posted by in ETEC 540, Weekly Assignments

When composing this emoji story, the work I chose was very intentional. Many other options that I could have chosen felt very complex and I felt I would be even more limited with how much emotion, history, and/or context I could provide with only emojis. With that, I also chose the work based on how much I liked the work itself, as well as the plot, as I figured liking it would also help me to visualize and retell the story more easily.

I started with the title because it is quite simple and was easy to find an appropriate emoji for it. With the plot being fairly limited in its depth, it was fairly easy to find emojis that represented what was happening. There are a number of characters and the story bounces around between the characters, so I utilized and incorporated the diversity options within the people emojis to represent the characters.

I relied mostly on ideas and characters, rather than syllables or words, when selecting the emojis, and I enjoyed the process of trying to find emoji combinations that would best capture the ideas and who and what the characters were doing.

The biggest limitation was relaying the elements of humour and satire within the work itself. All throughout the work, humour and satire are cleverly conveyed with dialogue, body language, and camera interaction. For many, it is what makes this work most appealing. It was fairly easy to share the plot, but I felt emojis alone weren’t enough to capture the layers of what makes this work great.

However, even with such a limitation, I found the process of this task enjoyable and creative, and that it especially highlighted how many layers are at play when creating and re-creating meaningful text.