backyard•escape

A case study: “water stress”

Posted by in general discussion, GRS

It seems that there are no absolute or prefect answers in regards to ethics. The case study “Water Stress” presented a situation where a loss of access to electrcity for an indefinte amount of time implied no piped water access, as the water was only accessible through electric-powered pumps. Our group decided to rent a generator to pump water for team use as having water would be better than being without it. At first, I thought it would be wrong for only volunteers to have access to water. Even if…read more

0

“Global” vs. “International”

Posted by in GRS, guest speaker

November 05, 2013 Dr. Dharamsi’s lecture was nothing less than a simultaneous mind-opener and a mind-boggler all in one. I don’t think it is every easy to let someone know what they are in the wrong. Dr. Dharamsi was not pointing out that we were in the wrong per se but was presenting a fact that in a bigger picture of things, in the scope of participating in international engagement in whatever form, what we do has an effect: on the world and on us. Thus, before doing anything else,…read more

0

“Development”?!!?!

Posted by in general discussion, GRS

October 29, 2013 Never, had I thought of the term “development” neither difficult nor complex to understand. GRS 290 certainly changed that; in a good way. Just as the course name reads, GRS 290/390/490 brings “Global Issues in Cultural Context” into the core of each lecture and discussion. It provokes critical thought and prods one to question many questions: “what is being discussed here?”, “why is this important?”, “what does…mean?”, “how is it being measured?”… Prior, my view on development was contrived of misconceptions, biased disjointed pieces of information. Actually,…read more

0