Place and Community

Posted by in GRS

During the last week of March, the Global Resource Systems class devoted their time and efforts in taking part to help move the Orchard Garden at UBC transition onto a new location. Though it may seem like a simple task, I think much of the significance of an effort like this lies in what the action symbolizes.

Generally, in most of the courses I’ve taken so far at an educational institution, it has taken place in a classroom setting or a lecture hall where the lectures are given in a presentation format. At times, some of these lectures may be accompanied by discussions which offer students an opportunity to express and share their thoughts. Though I agree that they present wonderful learning opportunities, at times I find that there is a disconnect between what we learn and the community around us.

Then, along the way, I come to wonder at the process of how communities are built and what it means to be part of a community. From my past experiences, I found that whenever I left a place, my fondest memories were of the community, and the fellowship I engaged in those communities. I may have appreciated the lunches, dinners, picnics, and strolling along trails but what made those moments enjoyable and special were the conversations and the companionship that I was able to engage in which had grounded me to the place while I stayed.

I think this past experience of lending a helping hand beautifully illustrates what community is about. Whereby individuals of different histories come together to work towards the same purpose. By doing so, we are able to share an experience together and connect with one another and also with the place where it is taking place.

While UBC as a whole can be viewed as one large community, the Orchard Garden provides a place where a closer knit exchange among members of the community can take place that is unique and different from what classrooms may offer.