Linking project: link #2: Brian Ham

Task 10: Attention Economy

I chose Brian as my #2 linking project selection because I could not get over how much he appeared to enjoy this game. I found it boring, predictable and tedious, but he found it exploratory, revelatory and amusing. I shall likely put this game to my English students, and have them reflect on their experience.

I saw this gimmick long ago, and ones similar; I don’t usually explore them as I am aware (too much) of the ways media manipulates me online. I often use my left hand to do tasks, for example, to keep me alert to difference, look at things through a mirror or from a back view; I find perspective a rather fascinating thing to toy with, and probably why I don’t feel too strongly about too many things (except unsalted butter in baking; simply no discussion). So I use masks and filters for much of what I do online to preserve my autonomy and anonymity, and I delve into a lot of communities to see how people respond by rote and get lost in unconsciousness. I listen to myself making rote conversation, and try to guess when I hear people talking, exactly what they will say. I am surprised at how often I’m right. We don’t say/do/think much that is original . . . what did Shakespeare say? There are only two or three lives . . .

In any event, I found Brian’s entries thoughtful and reflective, and I have enjoyed spending time reading his experiences during this course.