Term 1 Done!

Although I have only been in GRS for one semester now, I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in it so far. I was attracted by the program initially because it seems to be the only program in UBC which allows me to specialize in food security. Moreover, I am able to specialize in specific regions of my choice. Because there have been so few prerequisites required to complete the major, I have found it exciting to try many courses that I am interested in. In the past semester, I have taken up an introductory anthropology as well as a social geography course, both of which I have found truly fascinating. I honestly believe I have learned more in this past semester because of these courses than I did all of my first year in university. Moreover, because I have thoroughly enjoyed myself within the classes, I have found myself doing better in my courses too.

While it is exciting that I am able to choose essentially all of my own courses and build my own major, it is also a daunting task. I often worry whether I will be able to find a valid career that will align with my studies. Specifically, I wonder if I will be able to find one close to home. In this way, I sometimes worry whether following GRS is the right major for me. At the end of the day however, I know that I am currently following what I am truly passionate about. I could not be happier of the all opportunities to come and for once, I actually look forward to school. I am also excited for all the different people I may meet and the different resources I may use. Even after just one semester in GRS, I am head over heels in love with the major and excited to build my future with it!