Guest Speaker

In one of our GRS classes, an alumnus of UBC came in as a guest speaker to talk about his experiences so far after university. Although I do not remember his name, I remember the topics and ideas of discussion, many of which have really stuck with me. The speaker talked about how he has visited multiple countries in Africa, but he always tried to make it a point to use the country’s name rather than simply saying he had visited Africa since every country is different. I never really thought about the importance of this point previously but when he brought it up, it made a lot of sense to me. Context is always changing, whether it be continents or countries, especially over time. In that sense, it is important to be specific and consider the cultural, temporal, and geographic implications of each situation.

Another point he brought up was how important it is to stick with your values and hold onto your integrity. I also strongly believe in this idea and really appreciated when he said that when you go to work, you should always remember why you went initially and if you do not, it may be time to finish up your career there. One should always be one hundred percent committed and dedicated to their job, not any less. The cost can often be your income or even your life and in that sense, it is important that you believe in what you are doing all the way through. Otherwise, the outcome goals of your work and your own well-being or accomplishments may not reach its full potential.

One of the most significant things I took away from the discussion was when he said that if we are in a position to serve, we are in a place of privilege. Many people are not in a position where they are able to help others, not having the means to do so. This message really spoke to me and I hope to always be humbled and remember how I have always lived fortunately; I have never been without a home, I have never been hungry, I have never been unable to meet my needs, which is something many in the world cannot easily say. He also talked about how we should forget about the large corporate logos and just remember that it is about serving others. A large brand name holds no meaning if its only goal is financial profit rather than truly caring for others and the world. Moreover, he brought up the point that there is always room for improvement in your work – the people you are serving deserve it. When put this way, how can you not push yourself to do better, to try harder? At the end of the day, it should always be about the people you serve.

With all the meaningful points brought up in the discussion, I really enjoyed the class. It was a great reminder of the importance of context, sticking to your values, and most importantly, how our work should ultimately be about serving others before yourself.