Misleading Marketing (Subway Sandwiches)?

Social Media helped spread the word that Subway’s “$5 Footlong[s]” aren’t always quite one foot long… And it hit fast!

Posts of pictures and consumer’s opinions has hit the company hard. In this article, you get a response from Subway to why the footlong sandwiches aren’t one foot long, but rather 11 inches.

Now, in my opinion, I found it silly that people were outraged and building up a storm on the smallest of details on the size of the sandwiches at Subway. I was then very surprised by the return response. The phrase “SUBWAY FOOTLONG” is actually a “‘registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway® Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length.'”

The article then goes on to saying “as BuzzFeed’s Copyranter points out, Subway makes it pretty clear in its ads how long a footlong sub should be” through televised ads that showed a footlong sub should be the length of one foot.

Are Subway advertisement misleading in what they offer? Should this be a problem to consumers? Is it really that big of an issue? I personally think it was a pretty misleading in making people think the footlong is one foot long, but I also think it’s a little ridiculous when it comes down to it. We’re looking at an inch loss in bread every now and then because the inch was lost in the process of baking bread.

We also see this many other fast food chains, like McDonalds and Burger King. Do you really get what you see on the advertisements? Are the burgers really as big and filled as they appear?
  No, but it sure makes the burgers look desirable.