Want to know more about the Casting Call?

Since we put out the Casting Call for video participants, we’ve had a few questions that we wanted to list for you.

Want to know more? Drop us a line! Our intention is to be as transparent as possible so you can decide if you’d like to take part as a video participant in foundational gender diversity education at UBC.

More information about the video project is available here and here.

When is the next filming date?

Thursday September 20, 2018.
Location: UBC Studios, 2329 West Mall
Time: TBD (timing to be confirmed once you email your interest in participating).

If I participate, will my name and gender identity be shown on the video?

No. Your name and gender identity will not be shown in the video. No personal identifying information will be shown in the video, other than the video of you reading the script.

Can you describe more about the video format?

The video is talking heads style, combined with animation.
“Talking heads” means that the camera is focused on 1 person at a time, who is explaining a topic.
Here’s an example of a film that we’re modeling the video format off of (see link).

On camera, you will read a script that is provided for you – there is no need to prepare anything in advance to be in the video; everything is provided so you just need to show up on the filming date.

Do I have to show my face on camera? How can I take part without showing my face on camera?

We want to ensure you can participate with your comfort level in mind and appreciate that not all participants will want to show their faces on camera. If you do not want your face to be on camera, there may be some parts of the video featuring participants’ voices (i.e., audio recordings), along with avatar animation, rather than faces. If you want to participate but don’t want to show your face on camera, please let us know.

How can I see a copy of the draft video script prior to confirming my participation?

You're welcome to see the script before confirming if you'd like to participate. Email us with your request and we'll follow-up with a copy of the script.

How was the script developed?

The draft script was developed based on key themes/topic areas identified by respondents to a survey and participants in a focus group.
From 2015-2016, Jesse Grimaldi and Rachael Sullivan collected data from two-spirit, transgender, and gender-variant participants affiliated with UBC. Participants identified staff/Faculty education on gender inclusion, gender diversity literacy, and foundational transgender competencies as key training/education areas for UBC staff and Faculty.

In 2017, based on these findings we hired a PhD student to conduct an environmental scan and literature review to better understand a) best practices for a foundational video to enhance gender diversity literacy; b) existing educational resources at other universities and institutions on gender inclusion/diversity. This PhD student then used the environmental scan and literature review to inform a first draft of the video script.

The draft script was further developed and edited by non-binary, transgender, and cisgender allies affiliated with UBC. As project co-Facilitators, we (Jesse and Rachael), consulted with Harlan Pruden for the definition of two-spirit to understand how to strengthen and differentiate the definition of two-spirit.

What if I want to participate but want to make edits to the script?

We welcome your suggestions for edits.

If I participate in the video, do I have any control over my images/footage of me in the final edit?

Yes! All video participants will be able to view the video prior to the final edit/finalization. We also encourage on-camera open dialogue. You will be able to confirm if your image/part in the video will be included in the final version. We want to make sure you have control over how you’re depicted in the film, so you will be consulted as part of the editing/video development.

Participants will be asked to fill out an Image Consent Form prior to filming.

How are participants in the video compensated for their time/participation?

We value your time and efforts to support gender diversity inclusion at UBC! By taking part in this video, student participants will be given a complementary gift card as a thank you for taking part.
Beyond the Binary @ UBC is a grassroots initiative; all funds for video development are provided by sponsorship funds donated by various campus units and partially funded through an Equity Enhancement Fund. The exact amount of the gift cards will be divided evenly among student participants and will be based on the number of participants in the video.