Coming Soon: Custom Vending Machines

Personalization: making things suitable for your own needs and wants.

Seems to be quite the growing trend. Coca Cola, a Fortune 500 company, has introduced its “freestyle” vending machines  in Toronto, Canada in May. These machines are expected to appear all over Canada within the next while.

Preview of the Newest Vending Machine Technology

According to Susan Krashinky from Globe and Mail, “Companies want to create loyalty by making customers feel special. Allowing them to make personalized choices is one of the easiest ways to do that.”

I agree. There have been too many times when I’ve stood in front of a food stand wondering if I could order a chili hamburger instead of the typical chili dog, or mull over two almost identical looking shoes for too long. I would love for all products to be customized for me at no extra charge. Hence, I think Coca Cola’s got it right with their new vending machines. Not only does this “freestyle” machine bring a new experience to consumers when fiddling around with a vending machine, but Coca Cola’s brand also expands product knowledge, especially with the lesser known brands such as Fresca.

I’m looking forward to having “freestyle” vending machines at UBC soon. I’m sure our students will love products that are geared “just for them.”