Home

Course Description 

English 301: Technical Writing is a course that aims to expose students from different disciplines such as commerce, science, and education to the principles of written and online communications in business and professional contexts. The course will allow students to build upon their writing skills through discussions and practice in the preparation of various types of documents such as proposals, applications, reports and online communications: emails, Web folio and networking. This course is offered in an online classroom environment and students are expected to work independently, with the instructor and collaboratively in writing teams with fellow students. English 301 is divided into four units, each unit has three lessons and each lesson is one week long.

1. Unit 1. Principles, Practices and People in English 301
  2. Unit 2. Designing a Report Proposal; Defining terms with Audience in Mind
  3. Unit 3. Designing a Report Outline & Draft; Building your Resume and Job Application Skills
  4. Unit 4. Drafting the Formal Report: Peer Review and Final Report; Developing Networking Strategies

These four units will provide students with opportunities to practice and perfect the strategies and techniques required for writing in business and professional contexts. The units include opportunities to engage with fellow classmates in online discussion, peer review and the production and analysis of documents in various contexts. The assignments will assist students in reflecting on their own writing and develop self-editing skills.

Course Expectations

I am expected to develop my practical writing skills through practice throughout the course so that I can apply what I learn to my career in the near future. Another goal for me in this course is to transform some of my writing weaknesses to strengths through peer review and collaboration opportunities with fellow classmates. During my co-op terms, I had to send out emails or messages through Slack to larger groups of people within an organization. I would like to improve my communication skills so that I feel more confident in my writing and to make my writing more clear and concise for everyone.