Midterms Nearly Over

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone’s midterms have been going well, I actually just completed my second German one, and only have 1 to go next week, until I can relax a bit before finals.  This has actually been my best semester to date at UBC so far! Hope I’m not jinxing myself.  Because I’m doing 5 years at UBC, its really important I have a high A average this semester and next semester, I thought I was reaching, but it seems doable so far.

Micb 306

I was dreading this course, I dread anything MICB related but I did really well, definitely the highest in any MICB course I have taken.  The course is quite different from last year though, because I had a practice midterm and the topics didnt completely match up.  In terms of MICB courses, I definitely recommend MICB 306.  302 was a nightmare.

FNH 350

I am integrating nutrition, so this is a mandatory course, and I really enjoy it.  Thats saying a lot considering its at 8am in the morning mwf, and there are parts missing in the slide that you only get if you come to class so its not the kind of class to skip.  I look crazy and exhausted every class but I’m glad I have only missed one lecture so far this semester.  There is definitely a lot of memorization in this course, and its pretty much feels like a biochemistry course.  We’ve done digestion/absorption, lipids, and now proteins.  I had this midterm the day before MICB, and got the exact same grade on the midterm than I did on MICB.  I am shocked at myself that no all nighter has been pulled this year, this is a first for me, smh!

Germ 200

So I loved Germ 100, it was my first A+ at UBC, and I did great in it, still did good in Germ 110.  Germ 200 is great, but I get the feeling that theres a lot of people who have a “more than intermediate” background in German.  I definitely feel like the worst speaker in class, but putting myself at a lower level makes me work harder, so i’m still glad I took it.  Studying for German is way more chill than studying for a Science course.  Theres instant gratification when you can understand passages and write out 200 words in German, where as with Science I feel like gratification comes after you’ve graduated and entered this workforce/grad school

Econ 310

I feel like this course is 40% common sense and 60% keeping up.  The material makes sense, its not something you gotta read a bunch of times to understand, its pretty straight forward.  Shockingly though so far in terms of midterms its been hardest one, just because I felt like I was being rushed.  The midterm is 30% and in class and 50minutes.  I just felt like as a more conceptual/mathematical less memorization course there wasnt enough time.  I will see how it goes!

So its been a pretty chill semester for me, my finals schedule is out and I finish on the very last day!  I have no complaints!  I’d rather a short break than a crammed finals schedule.  Happy Halloween Everybody!

About binta

UBC First year student. :)

2 responses to “Midterms Nearly Over

1. Andy

Hey, I’m taking GERM 100 right now and thinking of taking GERM 110. I was wondering if you could tell me how much of a difficulty jump is it between those two classes?

• Hey! Okay so I really got way too comfortable in Germ 110, and didn’t do the online assignments on time (5%), slacked off a lot so I did far better in Germ 100, got an A+ in Germ 100, and a B+ in Germ 110. But its honestly because I slacked off and also because I didnt have time to do the practice exam (which is pretty close to the real exam), I am taking Germ 200 now, putting in an okay amount of effort and getting a solid A. So I honestly think 110 isn’t too bad, I’ve recommended it to all my friends. I’m continuing with Germ 210 and wouldn’t if I didn’t think I could get an A.