Peer Tutor Spotlight – Jennifer Liu

Photo source: Jennifer Liu

Jennifer Liu is a third year biology student. Originally born in Vancouver, she has also lived in Saskatoon and Edmonton. Recently, she received the Mildred Brock Memorial Scholarship for her efforts in undergraduate affairs. Jennifer is also involved in student government as the Vice-President, Finance of the Science Undergraduate Society and in volunteer work at Musicbox Children’s Charity.

Jennifer is currently a Peer tutor for BIOL 234 (Fundamentals of Genetics) and was a Peer tutor for the same course in 2020W1.

What do you most enjoy about being a peer tutor?

The thing I enjoy most about being a peer tutor is seeing when students get that “Ah-ha!” moment, where everything clicks. Seeing them come to their own realizations is the best thing I could ask for. I also enjoy scrolling through piazza and seeing students post questions beyond the course material. It cultivates communication between the students which can ultimately lead to friendship.

What has being a peer tutor brought to your undergraduate experience?

It has really opened my eyes as to what it means to be an educator. I would like to be an instructional professor sometime in the future, and this opportunity has given me opportunities to see what that is like. Taking the course, I did not realize how much effort the teaching team puts towards organizing all the lectures, tutorials, and setting up online programs (e.g., Canvas). After being a peer tutor, I have applied this knowledge to situations where I am a learner and now appreciate the hard work put into organizing the material.

What opportunities relating to teaching and learning have you been a part of?

I’m involved in Musicbox Children’s Charity, a volunteer-based program that brings music education to vulnerable children in Canada. We teach music to make it more accessible and foster creativity. In my first year, I was involved as a piano teacher. I got to teach this wonderful child in elementary school, and it was the best experience! Seeing them learn how to play a song was always such a joy simply because they found it fun. Currently, I am the treasurer so I am not on the front-line for teaching, but I get to see the purchases volunteers make and think about how the kids will love it. I still get involved with the teaching process by occasionally planning lessons or help with organizing (virtual) field trips/recitals.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I really enjoy reading or working out. Being at home makes it a bit difficult to exercise, but I make do with my yoga mat and small weights. My goal this school year was to read one book a month – any genre from historical to self-help to fantasy! It gives time for my eyes to rest from a screen and enjoy a good cup of tea.

What are your plans following graduation?

Following my graduation, I am planning on going into Dental school. I would like to continue studying at UBC, but I will go wherever the wind takes me. However, I would still like to be in a teaching role whether that be tutoring, music lessons, or anything.