TA Spotlight – Nelly Saber

Photo source: Nelly Saber

I completed my Bachelor of Science at UBC in Cell Biology and Genetics. I am currently a PhD candidate in Dr. Timothy Kieffer’s lab in the Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, where I completed my Science Co-op placement as an undergraduate. My research involves studying different factors that affect the development of human embryonic stem cells into pancreatic beta cells as a treatment for diabetes.

I have been a TA for BIOL 112 (Biology of the Cell) for 4 terms now. I have also TA’ed for BIOL 153 (Human Biology: Anatomy and Physiology), BIOL 204 (Vertebrate Structure and Function), BIOL 260 (Fundamentals of Physiology), and BIOL 458 (Developmental Neurobiology).

What do you most enjoy about being a TA?

I most enjoy creating an environment for students where they feel comfortable asking questions. I want students to have a positive learning experience where they enjoy going to class and feel comfortable asking for help when they need it. Helping students finally understand something that they’ve been struggling with in class is so rewarding.

What has being a TA brought to your graduate studies experience?

Being a TA has helped me learn how to explain some of the more complicated aspects of my research into simpler terms that someone without my background could understand. It has also allowed me to view my research from a different perspective and think more creatively. Teaching has been an invaluable addition to my graduate studies experience!

How has your unique background influenced your TA experience?

Having been a UBC undergraduate student in Biology really helps me understand the perspective of the students I am currently teaching because I have been in their place before. I like to share my experience as an undergraduate student and offer my advice when it comes to studying, finding research experience, and surviving undergraduate studies in general. When I’m teaching students, I often think about what would have helped me understand something when I was an undergraduate student.

What opportunities relating to teaching and learning have you been a part of?

I completed the Instructional Skills Workshop at UBC near the beginning of my graduate studies where I learned about different teaching tools I could use in class and gained experience creating and implementing a lesson. I recently completed the Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning at UBC, where I learned about various aspects of teaching and further developed my teaching skills. I highly recommend both programs for those interested in teaching.

What is something that you are currently doing in the UBC teaching and learning space that you are excited about?

Last summer, I was given the opportunity to work with the BIOL 112 instructors and help design the tutorials for the fall. It was a great experience seeing what happens behind the scenes when it comes to designing and implementing courses. As a TA for BIOL 112, I was largely involved with coordinating the tutorials, which consisted of preparing the tutorial slides and quizzes for the students and the additional responsibility of leading the TA meetings and answering any questions the other TAs had. I really enjoyed taking on more of a leadership role as a TA and using the feedback I received from both TAs and students to improve the tutorials for the following term.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to dance in my spare time, I can’t wait for dance studios to open up again! I have recently started taking pottery classes and it’s been fun (and frustrating haha) molding clay into something functional like a bowl or a mug. I have also been taking sign language classes online with Queer ASL, which I highly recommend for anyone who’s interested in learning sign language. 🙂