Peer Tutor Spotlight – Karanvir Dhillon

Photo source: Karanvir Dhillon

Hello! My name is Karanvir Dhillon and I am a 4th year Integrated Science (Physiology/Pharmacology) student at UBC. I have served as the peer tutor for BIOL112 for two years now, and have thoroughly enjoyed helping students.

BIOL112 has been one of my favourite courses at UBC, as cell biology has always been fascinating to me and the staff teaching this course have been wonderful (shout-out to Dr. Smith, Dr. Zeiler, and Dr. Taylor!!).

What do you most enjoy about being a peer tutor?

I have found this job to be very rewarding, from witnessing my students’ progress to receiving the professor’s gratitude. Whether it be through observing a stronger understanding of a difficult concept, or seeing my visual aids come to use, this position has provided me with the motivation and compassion to continue serving students at UBC. My favourite part about this position has been being able to host office hours on a weekly basis. Not only am I able to assist students with questions on course content, but I am also able to take on a mentorship role, where I can use my first-hand experience to guide junior students through their diverse career goals and passions. Through these office hours, I hear from individuals with unique experiences, and understand their perspectives and point-of-views as well as implement these in my regular day-to-day.

What has been an interesting outcome of your peer tutoring experience?

Throughout my journey as a Peer Tutor, I have realized that through positive leadership and effective communication skills, one can significantly improve a student’s academic journey. From the experience and knowledge that I gained throughout this position, I feel encouraged to continue to help underserved students and build a fostering community. This opportunity, to support students in their academic lives, has allowed me to appreciate the work of teachers and professors. I have also gained an appreciation for the unique perspectives and the individual approaches taken by students when tackling course material. Lastly, these experiences have provided me with several memories which I will cherish in the years to come.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors, whether that includes going for a walk, a hike or simply playing sports. This past summer, I went to Whistler and got the chance to go ATVing and Kayaking. In regards to sports, I spend much of my free time playing basketball and have acted as a coach in the past for Boundary Park Elementary. Lastly, I aim to have a healthy lifestyle and enjoy exercising at the gym whenever possible.

What is a fun fact about you that people may not know?

A fun fact about me is that I initiated a non-profit organization during the pandemic called the Humanitarian Society of Vancouver (HSOV). We aim to create volunteering opportunities within the lower mainland, while addressing various issues relevant to the community. Through the organization of several fundraising events, our organization looks to do hands-on volunteer work in BC. In our activities, we also aim to create a platform for members to develop interpersonal skills while taking on responsibilities of the communities around them. Leadership, communication and teamwork skills are important life skills, but are not necessarily taught in the classroom. We believe in giving our members and prospective members the opportunity to develop these skills by allowing them to propose and take charge of new initiatives. Today, through the support of our 9 core executives, 30+ volunteers, and 8 sponsors, we are proud to say that we have been able to help homeless populations, children in need, cancer patients, and our local community through various large-scale events.

What are your plans following graduation?

Following graduation, I aim to work as a medical office assistant, while continuing with my extracurriculars. In particular, I will continue to serve as the President of HSOV, while volunteering regularly as a research assistant for the Active Transportation Injury Circumstances and Outcome (ATICO) study, as well as a volunteer for the Emergency Department at Vancouver General Hospital. I aspire to one day attend medical school, with an aim to work in family medicine. This lifelong desire to pursue medicine stems from my passion to support underserved individuals in my local community.