Ferrari To Increase Production

The high-end super car manufacturer, Ferrari, is preparing to raise the production of their vehicles.  According to this article, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, Ferrari’s chairman of 23 years, resigned due to a disagreement with Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Ferrari’s parent company Fiat SpA.  The disagreement of these two executives was because Montezemolo wanted to limit the Ferrari’s production numbers to only 7000 units per year.  He thought this would protect the exclusivity of Ferrari’s cars, but Marchionne overruled and will raise production to 10,000 units per year when he takes over as chairman of Ferrari in October.  Increasing production by almost fifty percent will be a major move by the famous Italian brand that will allow the wait list for the cars to be reduced significantly.  Hopefully this will keep their customers happy.  Even though a nearly fifty percent increase is monstrous, the rarity and exclusivity that Montezemolo cherished won’t be altered drastically.  I think that the popularity of Ferrari among the wealthy is so strong that a bump in production will be necessary to keep potential buyers interested.  If they were to keep output numbers low, what would keep people from switching to a competitor like Lamborghini or McLaren? Although the market for super sports cars is relatively small compared to and limited to the ultra-wealthy, there is enough demand for the waiting list to grow to unbelievable lengths.  This article from Automobile Magazine, interviewed Ferrari customers and they mentioned being on the wait list for as much as two years!  If I was buying a new car I would not be impressed if I had to wait up to two years for it.  The increase in production will hopefully open new doors for Ferrari and extend their rich history into the future.