ENGL470 – Canadian Studies – Introduction (Lesson 1:1)

Hi folks! I am a fourth year Philosophy major, and I am super excited to take this course.  I have always had a strong interest in literature, political philosophy, and history, so this seems like a perfect blend.

I have been working in the DTES for 5 years now, and the effects of colonization very apparent there.  My goal is to work for a non-profit in the area, and give back to the country that gave so much to me.  Here are a couple places that you can get touch with, if the urge to become involved strikes you so!:

Atira Women’s Resource Society

Insite Supervised Injection Site

The problem created by our ancestors has left dark consequences.  I am pleased to see a class where we, as a community of learning, can explore and discuss the causes and solutions to this crisis.  As we stand today, the Native population of Canada  does not have the rights they once did as a free people, and are often struggling with problems such as alcoholism, abuse, and cultural identity confusion.  There are things we can do the raise awareness, and make it better!

Thanks for reading, and let’s make Canada the country we want it to be!

idle-no-more-and-defenders-of-the-land-v6201

6 thoughts on “ENGL470 – Canadian Studies – Introduction (Lesson 1:1)

1. StephanieLines

Hey Jessica! I notice your post to Insite – do you work for PHS Community Services by any chance? I have worked with them for the pat 9 years! I just moved to the Okanagan this summer, however I still work there from time to time. I consider what I have learned working there as the most valuable experiences of my life, and I miss the community a lot. I think PHS has successfully been able to focus on the needs of the most vulnerable in the community and to make dignity and the value of life a priority.

1. JessicaLee Post author

Hey Stephanie 🙂 That’s so beautiful to hear you’ve dedicated so much time to a struggling population! I actually only have worked in the hospitality industry in the area, and am trying to delve deeper. The sense of community there is so much than I could have imagined. One of my friends just started work at Insite this summer, and the stories are beyond belief – tragic, yet so inspiring. Currently, I am working on proposals to provide meditation and yoga classes for certain centres. What did you do for PHS, might I ask?
      Are you living in the Okanagan permanently now? And, whereabouts? I lived in Rossland for a while a couple years ago, and I sure do miss the Kootenays! Driving through the Okanagan always struck up some intrigue… Hope you’re enjoying your transition into fall 🙂

1. StephanieLines

hi jessica!
        i was a mental health and resident support worker in dtes housing and a women’s community housing facility for the last 8 years, and the two years before that i worked at and then managed the not-for-profit radio station cafe coffee shop in the dtes.

i am living in the ok permanently now! i live and work in penticton now.

yes it is a beautiful area! i do miss vancouver though! it’s great that you support some awesome community initiatives like atira and insite! there is a detox facility connected with insite called onsite, not sure if you have heard of it? they do lots of programming so i would recommend dropping a proposal there for your meditation and yoga if you are interested!

best,
        stephanie

2. ColleenFish

Hi Jessica,

I have worked in the DTES in a variety of positions and found it incredibly rewarding. I do have the eventual goal of working at Insite and have been a strong supporter for many years. I still remember the day when the Supreme Court of Canada decided that it was to remain open despite attempts to the previous conservative government. I went down to Insite and celebrated with everyone that day. It was a wonderful day.

I am curious what sort of ideas you have about what we can do to make it better? I find this statement to be rather vague so was just curious if you could expand on that a little. So many people have so many theories about what can be done to help the First Nations communities around Canada but I find many of these theories still are about telling those communities (be it in the DTES or Hobbema in Alberta) what is best for them rather than listening to the stories and voices of those who it affects most (people who identify as First Nations/Metis).

1. JessicaLee Post author

Hi Colleen! Thank you for a beautiful post. I have worked in a DTES bar/hotel since 2012 and am now volunteering at the non-profit free Yoga and Meditation Centre, called Karma Teachers. It was founded by a Toronto-nian who came to Vancouver for the yoga and was appalled to see the economic polarity in such a small city. He decided to make a studio that holds free classes so it is accessible to everyone, and he purposefully picked the location, right in the heart of the poorest community. Having been here since April, I have seen the small but positive changes this studio has provided to those who wander in, and those we reach out to. I have also worked at a SBC Restaurant and SkateRamp for my friends, who opened the place to create a safe space for skateboarding, music, and art – located very close to Insite, actually. They are making an effort to create a better sense of community, and even refer to the shop as the host of the DTES-SBS (skate board society).

I guess I don’t have any real answers to such a large problem, but awareness is the first step. Next, I believe in getting involved in the community and providing a safe space for alternative activities. There is no be all, end all solution, but these steps are inspiring!! I hope to one day provide a service or space, that relieves the stigma of the area and can help individuals one by one.

3. erikapaterson

Hello Jessica;
    Welcome to our course of studies together, and thank you for a great introduction and some good hyperlinks. I am looking forward to working together and learning from your perspectives and engaging with your insights. Enjoy,
    Erika