Biography

My name is Samantha Langley and I am a fourth year student at the University of British Columbia.  Currently I am studying Applied Animal Biology in the faculty of Land and Food systems.  My interest in animals was sparked early in childhood and has since blossomed into what so far has been a thrilling educational journey.

After high school, I completed the Animal Health Technology diploma from Douglas College in Coquitlam, British Columbia.  Since 2012, I have been a practicing Registered Veterinary Technologist at various animal hospitals in the lower mainland.  I have worked in hospitals specializing in the treating lizards and birds to small rodents and rabbits.  My most recent adventures have introduced me to the world of large animal medicine.

All of this work with animals has pushed me more towards pursuing a career as a veterinarian.  In January 2014, I was accepted into UBC to begin my studies to fulfil the requirements for veterinary school.  I will be applying to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine this fall.

When I am not at school, I can be found working at the local horse race tracks.  This fall marks my second year working as a veterinary technician in the test barn where I am responsible for giving the horses permitted drugs before the races as well as collecting blood samples for testing after the race.

This past summer I had the pleasure of working as an intern at the UBC Dairy Research and Education Centre.  Here, my primary responsibility was ensuring all the calves were fed and taken care of each day.  I also was able to experience what goes into the diagnosis and treatment of ill cows.  This was an unique and incredible experience that inspired me to consider large animal medicine as an area of focus in my future career as a veterinarian.

When I am not working or studying, I can be found with one of the many animals on my hobby farm in Abbotsford, British Columbia.  I am an avid competitor in canine sports; agility and nose work.  Pepper, Lucy and Duke are my three dogs that I compete with.  In the wee hours of the morning I can be found out in the field training the dogs before I leave for school.  This fall we will begin our preparation for the Canadian Agility Nationals held right in our backyard of Langley, British Columbia next summer.  On our hobby farm we raise laying hens and dairy goats as well as grow many fruits and vegetables.  There is certainly lots to keep me busy around here!

If anyone from this class would like to get in contact with me, I can be reached by email: s.langley@alumni.ubc.ca